1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

antler stain

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by ozark, Mar 17, 2007.

1. ozark

ozark New Member

would anyone care to comment or advise to what is the best method for coloring or staining repaired antlers. the repairs have been done with apoxie sculpt. Thanks, Todd

2. oneshot

oneshot Member

Airbrush a base coat and then apply wood stain to your desired darkness.
    Oneshot

3. C Ertle

C Ertle New Member

I do not know what it is called, but a taxidermist that lives about an hour away from me gave me some stuff. He said that it was some kind of chemical that they use in catfish ponds. A tablespoon of grains will last a lifetime. It only takes 4 or 5 grains in a couple of drops of water. Beleive it or not that is enough to cover an entire antler. The grain sizes are about the size of turnip green seeds. It goes on purple and dries the same color of the antlers. If interested, I will try and get the name of it.

I used some last year on a mount that was dropped and the tip broke off and shattered. When the guy picked it up he could not tell which horn tip was repaired.

4. C Ertle

C Ertle New Member

I was just reading another post started by ToddK and someone mentions in there 'potassium permanganate'. Did a search on the internet and it sounds exactly like what I referenced in the above post.

5. KevinH

KevinH Active Member

potassium permanganate is the stuff you guys are talking about it does work very well just start by putting it on lightly and build up to the desired color. You have to mix it with water or alcohol. It is weird though cuz it goes on purple like what was said and then turns brown when it dries.

6. Bobbym1232

Bobbym1232 New Member

potassium permanganate is the best I've found. Works better mixing with alcohol for me, but water does work ok too. The longer you let the mixture set, the darker the stain becomes.

7. HWF

HWF Member

IOWA
    Do you seal it after? If you do what with?
    Thanks, Hunter

8. Scott_B

Scott_B New Member

I have a set of old antlers that are yellowish in color-should I paint them or use stain?

Thanks
    Scott

9. Bobbym1232

Bobbym1232 New Member

I haven't tried painting, I always just use stain. Just put it on in layers until you reach the color you like and use steel wool or sandpaper to highlight. I seal them afterwards with krylon matte sealer spray.