1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

deer mounts near fireplace

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by elkin44, Jan 25, 2011.

  1. elkin44

    elkin44 New Member

    I have recently installed a fireplace in my bar room. room is not to large but is full of mounted animals. I wonder if anyone out there has any experience with keeping the mounts from excessive drying. The fireplace radiates a alot of DRY heat I am concerned the mounts in my room may crack. I personally performed all the taxidermy on the animals and do not want anything to happen. I was thinking of rubbing vasoline on the nose and near the eyes to prevent the drying of the leather, do you think this would prevent cracking or a humidifier to supply moisture??? anyone have any comments or experience with this?
  2. You are definately going to have issues when having mounts around fireplaces. Its a bad combination IMOP...as for rubbing something on the facial area to keep the hides from drying not sure on this. Hopefully someone else can give you some better advice.. I put krow oil applied with an artist brush on the tearducts and eyes of my deer while in there drying stages. Good luck.


    WI BOW HUNTER New Member

    I've never had a problem with my mounts and my wood stove. I keep water on top of the stove to add humidity to the air thou. My mounts aren't too close to the stove either. I think if you run a humidifier you'll be fine.
  4. R. Follis

    R. Follis New Member

    Try to avoid all sources of heat like furnace vents, fireplaces, and woodstoves. (better to be safe then sorry) JMO These heat sources can prematurely dry a mount and cause cracking in the skin and scales as well as cause hair and fur to become brittle.
  5. bill@hogheaven

    [email protected] New Member

    The sole source of heat in my showroom is a woodstove. Some of the mounts are VERY close to it. I dont see any problems with this arrangement.
  6. tem

    tem Well-Known Member

    my brother in law has his mount hanging in his wood burner heated garage for a few years now and it has taken a tole on it. dry ed it all up. corse he never took care of it.
  7. We have heated with wood here in MN for the last 45 years..we have many mounts in the areas around and above wood burning units including moose and bear and deer...no problems at all..the moose above our fireplace which burns 100+ days per year looks great after 12+years..