1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Question Regarding Earbutts and Molding.

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by buckmaster14, Jan 26, 2011.

1. buckmaster14

buckmaster14 Sometimes you get lucky...

I've seen a lot of taxidermists have trouble claying in their ear butts to look right on a mount. My question, would it not be feasible to seperate the ear butt from the head, continue to turn the ears, and then mold the butt and ear and make a cast? That way you have the correct shape of ear butt and all thats left is placing it correctly on the form and sliding the skin over it like you would with clay... Call me crazy but i dont see why that cant work.

2. Why not save time and money and just purchase the Epply ear system. Ear liner and molded ear butts, in forward or back positions, that snap right together?

Or buy ear liners with ear butts molded on?

3. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    The major problem with molding and casting parts off dead animals is just that ... THEY ARE DEAD. Muscles are relaxed past the point of resembling anything alive. When will you all figure this out? Learn how to rebuild the parts with clay. It's called "Taxidermy".

John.

4. buckmaster14

buckmaster14 Sometimes you get lucky...

Haven't done much research on ear liners yet :p

ok, stupid idea! :D

5. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Take a change out head and screw it to a small square of plywood, place it on the table, set down in front of it and make some clay ear butts with some liners. You can pose the ears anyway you want them. When you get them the way you want them, stick it in the fridge and chill the clay, then pop them off when you are ready to install.

6. Artie mags

Artie mags New Member

I have to agree with John on this.Take the time to learn how to shape them and re-sculpt out of clay.I have been using bondo ears and clay for a year now.I have been getting great remarks on how my ears look and how the butts look.I'm not a fan of snap together taxidermy.JMO

7. LordRusty

Ohio
    Mr. T has a great idea there! For crying out loud, it's the method I use when I teach students to model ear butts! :eek: ::) You got me T ... caught me in a [​IMG] moment! LOL!

Having the head only from a form, or a change-out head, mounted on a piece of board for practice will help you dramatically improve! You can even remove the clay butts with the liners from the form and freeze them solid before inserting them in the cape.

It is very satisfying when mounting the head to give true and original expression from modeling the ears and ear butts yourself. You can move them about, change position, and finally settle on one that fits the Deer. And the practice head ... best way to learn!

John.

8. shdyhollotaxi

shdyhollotaxi New Member

U can also freeze dry a real earbutt and use it for refrence that helped me out

9. LordRusty

Ohio
    Again! You are copying a DEAD PART!!! I've said it before ... when will you figure this out?

John.

10. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

Get a WASCO Redi-Mount head and it will answer a ton of your questions. You still need to study sculpting your own ear positions. If you are clueless to what is under the skin the Redi-Mount head would be an excellent reference.

11. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

But rick, did you scuplt it from live deer, or a dead one, or pictures? ;-)

12. inkyspal

inkyspal Member

GA
    Actually, he sculpted it from live deer reference.

Even if someone cast a dead deer, the location of the ear butts would be right. Any study of mechanics is a step in the right direction.

13. GC24

GC24 New Member

Thanks T Good tip. I was wondering if you should mount the horns on the head before making the ears butts as it may change the position that the ears need to be in?

14. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

You could mache a skull top on the change out head, I didn't do that to mine, I just build them lower on the side of the change out, personally, I dont need a top to do the job, it's just customer work. :eek: ;D

15. Can you post some pictures on how you do that Mr.T. It sounds pretty neat.

16. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Not for a few weeks,, maybe John can,, he may have some pictures in his bag of tricks already showing how to clay ear butts.