1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Illinois Wallaby..... Checked in.... Picture added....

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by psycho, Jan 26, 2011.

1. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Yep, you read it right. Today I checked in a Wallaby that was hit on the road near Irving Illinois. The state and feds were both notified but had no concerns over the animal. The guy called me about a month or so ago about it but I thought it was some kind of prank or joke. I told him to double bag it and then call me when he was ready to do something. Well to my surprise the guy and a truck load of friends showed up with the Wallaby. I have him thawing now and will post pics when he does thaw. I did my best to get the guy to do a lifesize mount but he wouldn't go for it. I talked him into getting the hide tanned and possibly coming back to pose for pictures with it so him and his friends can have picture plaques made from Walnut Creek Hardwood. He said they can do that. Supposedly there is a lady that keeps exotics about 3 miles from where it was hit but the animal wasn't tagged nor does it appear to have a tattoo or branding mark that I can see. LOL You just never know what might just come into your shop. ;D I'll post some pics as soon as I can get some good ones where you can tell what it is other than a ball of fur if anyone cares or wants to see it. LOL It's definitely one of a kind I imagine. LOL

2. Re: Illinois Wallaby..... Checked in....

No lifesize?? What the cuss!

PS the boa constrictor, or python, or whatever, never showed up LOL.

3. psycho

Re: Illinois Wallaby..... Checked in....

I was to expensive for a Lifesize... The python guy is shopping taxidermist all over Missouri I think.... Next will be Illinois. I bet he gets the same answer on prices... LOL

4. Roger V

Roger V New Member

Dan, There was a Wallaby found along the highway in Osage co. MO a year or two ago. No explanation of where it came from. Seems they may be as commom as MO mountain lions. LOL

5. psycho

Well if they are, I'll be looking for one of those next.... ;) ;D

6. psycho

Well the guy with the wallaby came back today and brought his wife and grandkids with him. They posed for pictures with it so if they decide they want a story board plaque later they can have one of those made too. Today I heard the wallaby is popping up all over the place on cell phones all around here. I imagine before long more and more people will find out where it's at too..... ;D Any way here is a cropped photo of it. I cut out the families faces because I'm not sure they want to be posted all over the internet.... LOL Well here is the little guy and I am not sure how long it is going to take to get that smell out of my shop..... Urine I suppose hit the floor and it's strong like a mix between a mink and a cat pi s s.... LOL Well here it is, the Illinois Wallaby. It was hit along the road in Irving Illinois about 30 to 45 minutes north east of me. Dan

[​IMG]

7. psycho

Thanks to MDP62!

Lee who goes by MDP62 on here lives about 45 minutes away. I told him that I had a Wallaby coming in and he said he liked to see it. Well that was perfect for me so I asked him if he wanted to come over when I was going to skin it and he said yes. PERFECT, he asked if there was anything I needed that he could bring and I said yes, bring your back.... LOL Lee helped me by lifting it and moving that critter and posing it with the family for the pictures too that way I didn't have to lift or carry the dang thing since I am still on a 10 pound restriction. The wallaby is definitely over 10 pounds....

Thanks Lee for the help and dropping it off at the tannery too.... ;) Dan

8. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Cat and mink pee. Remind me not to ever get a wallaby as a pet. :)

9. psycho

I promise you will get to live the experience it. LOL ;D

10. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

Well,, you better "hop" to it!

11. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

hey shouldn't you be taking it easy! lol good thing Lee is close that thing had to look like a rabbit with him holding it! ;D

12. psycho

I'm taking it easy. I didn't even turn on the fleshing machine..... ;D

13. Brian

Brian Active Member

wow, thats a cool story!

14. irishme

irishme New Member

;) IT WILL BE A WALLABY BEFORE YA GET TO IT ;D

15. psycho

ok, I'll give ya that one. LOL :D

16. gab

gab Active Member

we just mounted a wallaby and it came out cool!the client wanted the arms extended to hold an hors dourves tray

17. sarahdj

sarahdj Active Member

Cool Dan- what next?!

18. psycho

Gab, your lucky. I tried to talk him into a lifsize mount but he said he's a poor farmer... LOL Maybe after it's tanned I'll be able to talk him into a rug still... LOL

Sarah, hopefully one of those Missouri Lions make it over here.... While I'm hunting! ;) ;D

19. Psycho, you should smell a swamp wallaby! ;D Do you know what species this one is mate?

20. psycho

No I sure don't. First one for me... ;)