1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tanning method ?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by miami_fins, Aug 31, 2006.

1. miami_fins

miami_fins New Member

Am wondering if Liqua-Tan would be recommended for doing my own tanning. Is that the best method? Will it work?? any responses about Liqua-Tan will help. Thanks.

2. jrosbor

jrosbor Member

Depends on what you are tanning for. To answer your question in the most generic sense, yes Liqua Tan will work. So will EZ-Tan, Lutan F, BASYNTAN DLE, Alum, WTDS, Krowtan, and just about any other brand or type of tan you could think of. For a straight forward deer cape, the Liqua Tan will work just fine. If you are looking for a higher quality "wet" tan, I would give WTDS a try. It's tough to beat for the home tanner. Others that work well are EZ-Tan and Lutan F as well as Krowtan but only if you follow the directions to the "T" on ALL of them.

3. B KENNEDY

B KENNEDY “THE YOUNG GUN”

OHIO
    Lutan F is the only tan i use. if it works don't change it.

4. I have seen a lot of good results from JRTS and it comes highly recommended as a home tan. That was the only one I saw left out of jr's post.

5. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Liqua-tan is a great product. Sorry for the next day answer. Any way it's my other personall choice from using EZ-100. This are the only two I use and like. I won't take any thing away from any other tan. We all have our preferece here and you have to make the choice. I've used others and I still like what I use.

I will add that you should pickle first with any tan. It's highly recomended. Is it really needed? Not really but I have mixed feeling and seen some troubles in the past when I did this. The smart way is to pickle, shave pickle, neturlize, and tan. It's what the pros do.

If you have any question about Liqua-tan feel free to ask me or get a hold of Mark at Knobloch's. Aslo if you go to Jona's WEB site you'll get a lot of info on tannning.

6. jrosbor

jrosbor Member

AHH! And I have used it too! I actually like JRTS for home tanning. It works just as good with a pickle, than it does without. It is also one of them home tans that has a bit of room for error. Prep work is a big key in high quality home tanning.

7. John W.

John W. New Member

I personally use Liqua-tan the most.I also use lutan-f and ez-100.Everyone will tell you their tans the best,you just have to try them out and see which one you like the best. ;D