1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Oregon Association of Taxidermists Show and Competition 2011

Discussion in 'Convention Information' started by Skip Miller, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Skip Miller

Skip Miller New Member

June 23rd through 25th, 2011
    The 28th Annual Oregon Association of Taxidermists Show and Competition
    Klamath County Fairgrounds, Klamath Falls, OR
    Contact Skip Miller evenings @ 707-987-3472 or email at [email protected]

We will be located in building #2 which affords us plenty of room for whatever you bring. We have a main display area that is 104' x 110' with a very high ceiling. In the back is a large 12' x 16' roll up door that you can back right up to. Under the same roof we have two smaller rooms that are 40' x 40' that are very nice for the seminars and yes folks the A/C works very well in these two rooms. I invite you to visit the web site at www.kcfairgrounds.org.

There are a number of things to do in and around the area. Located a short walking distance from the fairgrounds is a park for the kids and a bowling alley if you feel so inclined. There are a large number of shopping areas and places to eat all within a short driving distance from the fairgrounds.

If you feel like a family outing for a whole or half day there is Crater Lake which is just 60 miles north of Klamath Falls. It's an easy drive north up highway 97. There are many beautiful trails for hiking or you could take a boat tour of the famous blue waters.
    We also have the Klamath Children's Museum for a lot of family fun for the kid in all of us.

If you would like something a little closer there is Klamath Lake located just 15 minutes north of Klamath Falls. It is the largest natural lake in Oregon with all kinds of fun summer activities such as biking, hiking, canoeing or just relax while enjoying the many acres of lakeside parks.

Then for you folks that like to chase a little white ball around the lawn we have 3 beautiful golf courses to choose from. The Running Y Ranch Resort has the Oregon's only Arnold Palmer designed golf course. Shield Crest has the longest golf course in the Klamath basin and Harbor Links is noted for their picturesque views.

Challenge Categories:

Gameheads: Any African Plains Antelope
    Fish: Small Mouth Bass
    Birds: Pintail
    Reptiles: Any Rattlesnake

2. I am new to the taxidermy buiss. Iwas wondering if I had to be a member to enter items in the comp.. If so or if not could you let me know how to do it. Thanks for your help.
    Nate

3. Skip Miller

Skip Miller New Member

Hello Nate,

Yes, you need to be a member to compete.

You can join the association at the same time you register for the show and your membership will be good till the next show.

This can all be done during registration at the show.

Thanks!

4. Thanks Skip, Look forward to coming and learning.

5. Skip Miller

Skip Miller New Member

Hello All,

This town is pretty good size but well laid out and very easy to get around in. There are several core areas that have food and lodging very close to each other. Some are within walking distance and all of them are within 15 minutes of the fairgrounds.

There are two main arteries to this town and they are 6th Street running east & west and Washburn running north & south. The main artery into and leaving town is highway 97. All of these roads are very easy to travel and are very conducive to any RV that you are driving or pulling.

There is a very nice historic pert to this town that has a lot of little shops and could offer some enjoyment for those folks that like to walk the town and see all the shops. This town is a little trickier to navigate because of all the one way streets, but it’s not that bad.

Our Host Hotel:
    Days Inn – ( 541 ) 882-8864
    We have 20 rooms blocked under Oregon Association of Taxidermists
    Rooms @ $69 a night
    Most of the rooms have a frig and microwave

This is a very nice hotel right across the street from the fairgrounds. The Rooster Grill & pub is right in front of the motel and they are giving 10% off of all meals when you tell them you are with the Oregon Association of Taxidermist. Within walking distance from the motel you have Mr. B’s Steak house and Wubba’s BBQ Shack.

Highway 97 North:
    A-1 Budget Motel – ( 541 ) 884-8104
    Super 8 Motel – ( 541 ) 884-8880

These two motels are right across 97 from each other and you have Mollie’s Restaurant & mini Mart, which is open 24 hours, located in the same parking lot as the Super 8 Motel.

This is located about 15 minutes north of the fairgrounds and is the furthest point from town for food and lodging that you would have to travel if you are staying in either one of these motels.

Highway 97 North:
    Shilo Inn – ( 541 ) 885-7980

This is located a short distance south of the Super 8 Motel and is just below Oregon Institute of Technology ( O.I.T. ). In this same small community there are several places to eat such as McDonald’s, Burger King, Blimpie’s Subs & Salads, Applebee’s and Taco Time.

South Washburn:
    Microtel Inn & Suites – ( 541 ) 273-0206 Brand New
    www.microtelinn.com

This is a good size community around a Super Wal-Mart. There are a lot of places to dine in this area with a lot of variety such as Mazatlan Grill which serves very good Mexican food and other places such as Jack In the Box, Subway, Taco Bell, Winger’s Grill & Bar, Red’s Roadhouse serving steak-BBQ and seafood, Long John Silver’s and Jalapenos Taco shop.

Intersection of 6th street and Washburn:
    Comfort Inn – ( 541 ) 882-1111
    Olympic Inn – Best Western – ( 541 ) 882-9665

There is a Sizzler no more than a minutes walk from the Comfort Inn. On the same side of the street as the Olympic Inn a few blocks down there is a Subway and Denny’s.

Just East of the fairgrounds on 6th Street:
    Cimarron Motor Inn – ( 541 ) 882-4601

Right in front of the Inn is Elmer’s Restaurant. This is a very large hotel no more than 2 minutes from the fairgrounds.

A little further East on 6th Street:
    Klamath Inn – Best Western – ( 541 ) 882-1200

In this area you will find Mario’s Sandwich Shop, Purple Parrot Deli, KFC, Empire Mongolian Grill and Dairy Queen.

East 6th Street:
    Motel 6 – ( 541 ) 884-2110
    The Townhouse Motel – ( 541 ) 882-0924
    Majestic Inn & Suites – ( 541 ) 883-7771

Right next to the Motel 6 in a Black Bear Diner and in the same are there is Walgreen’s, Taco Bell and Burger King.

All of these areas are no further than 15 minutes away from the fairgrounds. They are all a very easy drive and easy to find.

Then for all the folks that are doing a little midnight work in their rooms to get things finished or repaired there is 3 major hardware stores in town. Home Depot and Big-R on east 6th Street and then there is Diamond Lumber and Hardware down the road west of Motel 6.

Thank you very much as we look forward to seeing you there.

6. Skip Miller

Skip Miller New Member

Our Judges will be:

Birds: Danny Owens from Wolfforth, Texas
    Game heads & Life Size: Danny Smith from Newport Virginia
    Fish & Reptiles: Randy Life from Jane Lew, West Virginia

7. Wolfie101

Wolfie101 New Member

I went to my first competition just to check everything out in California this year and I liked it a lot. I'm planning on driving up to the Oregon competition this year too to enter some pieces. Thanks for posting all the information, it's very helpful. :)

8. Jimmy Rimrock

Jimmy Rimrock Yeah, they come to snuff the rooster

Thanks for the post Skip,

I plan on going, I am "digging" as hard as I can to get a piece or two done to enter. Or I might end up grabbing a regular old run of the mill piece off the wall on the way out the door.

Always a good time. Lots to learn about, see old friends, hear some good stories and recharge the attitude.

Anybody on the fence thinking about going, just do it, you will have a great time and learn more than you thought possible.

Thanks for all the work you and your crew have put in already and to come to make the Oregon show a great get together.

See you there,

Jim