1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Hiring employees

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Hedhuntr, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Well-Known Member

I agree. If you want this to work you should look for someone with enough experience to take the reins right outta the gate instead of paying some newbie for the privilege of training them. However, in order to attract that person with the experience and trustworthiness you need, you might have to pay considerably more than twelve bucks an hour.
    If hiring a beginner is your only option, then start them at maybe six bucks an hour to begin and going to eight an hour after 30 days, and finally twelve an hour after 60 days, IF they work out. That way they have a goal to work towards, and your not out a hundred bucks a day to train someone.
    Realistically, the beginner should be paying YOU until they're qualified to EARN that twelve bucks an hour.

2. dc taxidermy

dc taxidermy Me and My Baby's senior picture

Mr. T, I worked for free for almost five years part time, at night and on weekends to be able to learn hands-on....DC

3. j.sonnenfelt

j.sonnenfelt New Member

Granted it is not working so well for you, but there should be more people like you. If you were close to my area i would be beating your door down for the chance. Granted i am just starting, but most full timers won't give you the time of day let alone a chance to learn and make some money doing it. Most of them in my area would rather accuse you of trying to steal their living instead of answering a single question. I believe if they were confident in the work they do and are as acomplished as they claim they would want some beginners out there to make their work look better. That is why I am so gratefull for this website it answers so many questions for the people who can't leave there families and afford thousands for school.

4. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

Lol. Good luck with mike down the street, haha. For some reason I don't think their fans/viewers would be in need of a taxidermist. It would be funny to watch those punks squirm around dead animals though, haha.

5. Hedhuntr

Hedhuntr Member

Jim, lets do the math. I now charge 600 a mount and roughly have about 150 in materials so that leaves 450. Right? Am I missing something here? Oh my rent on my building and heat/elec ect ect ect comes from another another biz I own that occupies part of this building. Also these people aren't mounting in a week or two. LOL I am going through the time they come a specimen comes in to the time it leaves the door. What I am saying is the people I am picking are not working out after a week or two thats all. I DO NOT EXPECT SOMEONE AFTER A WEEK TO KNOW HOW TO MOUNT A DEER! I do however expect them to know how to skin set eyes and antlers.

6. timberlandtaxidermy

timberlandtaxidermy Taxidermy Instructor NTA Certified Judge

So you have absolutley no overhead tied to your business?
    Not even advertising?

7. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

You could try renting out that space you do taxidermy in, and not pay utilities on it as well. That is overhead, No?

8. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

You mean the taxidermist used you to make money and didnt give you any of it while you traned? I would never take advantage of anyone like that, if they helped me make money, they would have gotten part of it.

9. a7d1

a7d1 New Member

You'll laugh at what I will tell you but here is the truth of it.. People today want to make as much as possible to do absolutely nothing. They feel they are owed a living for some reason.I just don't get it. I hire about six people a season and by mid summer have no one. Here's the funny part. I start my guys at 15- 20 bucks/hr depending on what they know or show me they can do. We have ruined the next generation of the work force. Good luck with the search.

10. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

Sorry but you are in serious need of a dictionary and a book on how to operate a small business. First look up the definition of Profit. From your yelling post I can tell I would quit you within a hour no matter what you paid or how much I knew or didn't know about anything. Take that as a answer as to why people probably leave.

11. Hedhuntr

Hedhuntr Member

LOL your a funny dude Jim. Listen to your post(s) You my friend are just a condescending person. My other business grossed 160k my second yr in operation. I have 2 seasonal employees and I am about the nicest guy you will meet (that is until you press my buttons) FYI I never yell at anyone unless they disrespect me and I never yelled at these two guys I hired. Now I am asking you to not post your thoughtless comments in MY thread anymore. I am looking for constructive answers NOT "you don't make that much blah blah blah) You don't know me, how I run my business, what I make a year or how I treat my employees.
    Also to whoever brought up the fact about overhead. I don't really care about the heat/elec because I am already heating it and writing it off on another biz and its in the same building. Thank you though for the great idea of writing off my taxi biz as a renter in my building. It would be great to use it as a loss every year under the same roof :)

Now back to the issue at hand. I appreciate your guys thoughts on hiring someone with experience and I will take it as good advice.

12. dc taxidermy

dc taxidermy Me and My Baby's senior picture

I wanted to learn so bad that I was willing. I signed a contract. I was ignorant to the fact that there was so much information out there. I grew up in the closed door policies of taxidermy. I didn't own a computer then. I thought that was the only way to learn....Lord do I know better now. I learned a lot of what not to do then what to do...if you know what I mean.....He now wants to come and work for me....I told him sure I'd let him work for free for about five years to earn a good paying job with me...I feel he took advantage of me. But I will be alright. I will succeed and I will grow and continue to learn.....DC

13. James Marsico

You seem a hot headed know it all that only wants advise he agrees with. I feel sorry for anyone that goes to work for you and I confidently predict that anyone with experience and any self esteem will also quit you within a few weeks. Then you can post and bitch and yell about that and blame it on them and taxidermy and maybe even me all the while being a nice guy about it. . BTW I would talk to a tax adviser before the renting idea takes hold to save you employee costs. That is illegal UNLESS the taxidermist that works/rents a space from you owns his own tools and can do work for anyone without say or control from you. Good luck, you need it.

14. jasonb

jasonb I think I'll keep her

I am looking to help other taxidermists out, I did this last year and with this other taxi we mounted 43 shoulder mounts and1 lifesize coyote in 10 days. In those 43 there was 11 African shoulders, 3 Hogs, 1 Antelope, and one Muley, the rest were Whitetail deer. He had antlers set on the deer and septum's in the deer, we prepped all of the capes and forms together, and the KEY thing is we worked together as a team and I know how production taxidermy should work. I taught this taxidermist a lot of very helpful tricks that will help grow his business and make his mounts more appealing, also how many other taxis over think alterations. I got paid well for my time there and even got a bonus, not to mention he is going to have me back this year along with the possibility of 4 other shops that need the help short term. If this is something you would be intrested in contact me and maybe we could work something out.

BTW, before anyone says that "you can't do quality work like that in a short period of time." you were not there, and you really don't know what I can accomplish when I have a goal in mind.

15. James Marsico

I know Jasonb to be a really fine taxidermist and person. He would be a great asset for any studio.

16. jasonb

Thank you Jim, I appreciate the kind words.

17. jk

jk Active Member

Different process to Hiring employees

I was watching a chopper building show the other day and saw them use a very interesting interview process. They had a guy come in and work a few hours to evaluate his abilities. I thought this was a great idea. If I was looking to hire a full-time employee I would bring them in, conduct a short interview and then hand them a cape and a form and say mount this. You would get to see their work and evaluate their craftsmanship and work ethic. If they cannot put a deer head together I do not think they would be much help around the shop. You could also use this to set their pay scale. The guys that do not work out, just mounted a deer for you as well. I am sure you may need to go back and rework the ear butts, eyes etc. but at least the interview process is not costing you money by you not working in your shop. Looked like a great idea.

18. jasonb

jk, most every one man show taxidermist shops have there set way of doing things, and taxidermist as a whole are some of the most bullheaded people out there. I do not agree with just having someone mount a deer head, because if you are just mounting deer and are worth your sand at doing that then you really don't need help or you need to raise your prices. Taxidermist that work well as employees approach every job with an open mind and are willing to adapt to each shops individual techniques, and I will say this there are few taxidermist that can do it and even fewer that excel at just that.

You want an asset to your company, a bullheaded person that can just mount a Whitetailed deer is a liability.

19. Hedhuntr

Hedhuntr Member

Great post guys. I may very well do the things you said.

and Jim yes I would run it through my accountant first before I did any biz to biz dealings. The guys that work for me happen to like me. Ummm that is when I'm not whipping them to work faster. LOL

20. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

someone with experiance is going to cost alot more than 12 bucks an hour