1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

tracks in artifical snow

Discussion in 'Habitat and Exhibit' started by MONSTER140, Mar 18, 2007.

1. MONSTER140

MONSTER140 New Member

ohio
    I am getting ready to finish a full body whitetail for a customer and if I could he wants tracks through the Snow. What I was wondering is there a way to make realistic prints through the snow? What type of snow material etc>>>

2. more info as, depends on the depth of snow your thinking of also what terain......there are several methods you can use.

3. MONSTER140

MONSTER140 New Member

ohio
    hey Steve the depth I'm looking for is about inch and a half to two inch's. I am trying to recreate the compacted and melted snow inside the print, like a fresh tracks would look.

4. right then a whitetail would be some weight compacting 2inch of snow, so picture this on a forest floor , twigs dead leaves etc, deer taking steps, a footprint would probably consist, top layer snow middle layer forest floor [exept rear of foot] bottom layer compacted snow or probably a slight foot drag, if you get my drift....hope this is some help.

5. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Since you're not going to put 2 inches of artificial snow on a base, you will have to create the base out of foam and cover it with art. snow. Simply carve the tracks into the foam, and paint everything white. Include some detritus material in the bottom of the track and don't forget to carve the detail at the top edge of the track..ie: the way snow curls at the front. After you have created the base and covered it with snow, place a few pieces of dirt on top of the snow, like it was dropped off the deer's feet as it walked.Also remember that where there's snow there should be a dust cover....a big one in this case...pun intended. JL

6. Laurier

Laurier Active Member

easy to do call me for info (705)476-0483 looks very realistic

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Laurier, please stop doing that. If your method could be described over the phone, why can't you write it out on here so we can ALL benefit from it. Doesn't anyone talk to you that you need a phone call? If you have a beter method, I'd sure like to hear about it but I'm not intersted in being on the phone any more than necessary. I'd rather be here.

8. Laurier

Laurier Active Member

George I keep telling you, I do not have all day as you do to type on a computer.If someone wants help call me and I will explain it. I do my work as I talk on the phone George , you should try it LOL!

9. George

I have enough trouble walking and chewing gum.

10. Laurier

Laurier Active Member

good one George

11. Laurier

Laurier Active Member

so call your phone company and get set up internationally , it's not rocket science. the price one must pay for free help

12. mdupertuis

mdupertuis Active Member

I had a great conversation with Laurier a while back about habitats. I wrote about 3 pages of notes, and was able to ask a bunch of questions. It would have taken him all day to type that.....since my phone plan is unlimited to anywhere.......I may be calling him again soon.

13. mjroberts

mjroberts gator season will be here soon

I called him and talked forabout two hours for a duck mountand about a tanning solution call himit will benifit you

14. mdupertuis

mdupertuis Active Member

LOL, I will assure you it won't be a short conversation.....But he sure doesn't mind taking the time to help out, and they is a nice thing to do!

15. George

I can call my daughter and listen for two hours. That doesn't mean I learn a freakin thing, I just listen. My statement is that this IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE and Laurier or no one else here is a rocket scientist. If he truly has that much enlightenment to give to ONE individual, he'd serve us all better if he shared it with everyone. Don't tell me it can't be written here. Breakthrough has volumes of that type information printed in it. I'm offended by this attitude because it reeks of the metality I lived through during the 50's and 60's. When someone says "Call me", I get the smell of stale beer and red satin dresses worn by women who have enough clay on their faces to build a fireplace. I'm not much into that whether the person saying is is a taxidermist or a washed up lady of the night.

16. Taxidermy Freak

Taxidermy Freak New Member

Who cares if you are offended, he wasn't talking to you George. This site and the world doesn't revolve around you. I don't say much on here, but I read a lot. I am so sick of your negative comments. Just like you ruined another post recently about cast lips. So take your self appointed taxidermy.net policeman badge and shove it, MANY people are sick of it. Yes, you have a ton of experience, and do a lot of good things. But do you have to be such an asshole about things?

17. George

Taxidermy FREAK, You can take your self-centered appraisal and find a nice warm place for it as well. You want to say something persoanlly, just click on that little envelope or PM me if you have the balls to say something privately. Dozens of us routinely give reams of informaition on this site to snot noses just like you and we don't ask anything in return. Bill Yox, Rick Carter, and Nancy Crocker charge students for information they just give away here. Every time Laurier has a comment, it comes with a silly assed "call me and I'll explain it to you". You couldn't find your butt with both hands so I can see why you'd grovel for information like that, but the rest will tell you with no strings attached. "*" shows us how to form the expression on a wolf or to mount lions and mountain goats without any seeming support. Mike Vermelson shows us how to build a studio qualitytree along with peeling bark, yet Laurier needs a phone call to explain how to put deer tracks in artificial snow??? PULEEZE!!! And next time you want to take a bite outa me, Pissant, just jump right in.

18. NOw..Now boys...play nice.

19. Taxidermy Freak

George, you are just a blow hard, and I won't waste any more time with you. Keep your damn nose in your own business. Stop ruining other people's posts running your mouth. If you want to do things differently, then do it, but this isn't YOUR site, stop acting like it is.

20. Taxidermy Freak

mk, Laurier simply said there was an easy way to do it, and that you could call him. What is wrong with that? Talking on the phone and interacting is a better way for a lot of us to learn. If George wants to do it a different way, then let him. Read the thread "Cast Lip System For Bears" if you don't think he has ruined anyone elses posts.

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,35953.0.html

Try it, just read it and see. George is not the owner of this site, and he doesn't need to get on here and tell people like Laurier that he is doing something wrong by saying to call him. The guy is more than willing to help, and George doesn't need to take shots at him for it. Sometimes George forgets he is just a person and acts like a real ass to people on here who are just trying to help or ask questions. And as for telling it the way it is.......he tells it the way it is to George, and has NO ROOM for understanding it might not be the same for someone else. It is always HIS WAY or no way, and I am not the only one who is sick of it.