1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

deer rug with head

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by bigjohn123, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Any one ever mounted a deer head to make a rug do they sell a shell like that or am i gonna have to use an old form or a change out head and refoam its a small pie ball buck .tHANKS John

2. Dawg3458

Dawg3458 Member

Never did one. But I would use a change out head

3. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

I don't believe I've ever heard of a deer rug with a head - I'm trying to imagine what that would look like. IMO deer hides don't make very good rugs as the hair on a deer is hollow and when it dries out it becomes very brittle. Any excessive handling, rubbing or being stepped on will cause the hair to break off. It makes a mess real quick and the rug begins to look really bad real fast. If you can keep it protected, it will do OK, but I still can't imagine a "deer head rug" looking very good. If you mount it up be sure and post a picture - I would like to see it when you get it done. I do believe it would be a first...

4. jorgy

jorgy Member

i DonT no what yu will hav to du butt they make fun of speling erors run on sentenses and al sourts of strange things on here soo u shuld profread and yuse beter gramer so that wont hapen to yu and then yu wil get a beter anser fer what you er askin

5. jorgy

jorgy Member

I'm trying to picture grandma tripping and being impaled by a deer rack on the one of a kind deer rug on the floor. Are you sure you want to do this?

If you really do take a change out head, saw it off at the right angle, fabricate whatever you need to so it blends with the floor, and mount away. Please post a picture when it's done.

6. Its been dry tanned and will hang on the wall so it should last a while may have caused confusion when i said rug.I was just curious if they made an actual deer rugshell head .Ill just use a changeout head with plywood inserted in back of head and refoam out the back and shave it down to my transition that waty it will lay flat on the wall and can pin the hoofs and tail to the wall.John

7. jorgy

jorgy Member

If you are going to do it I would do it right. Soak it up, mount the head, stretch the hide, let dry, trim even, felt, then hang.

There was just a post on here about how to make a grid pattern so you stretch it evenly. That works best. I have seen bears stretched fur up and down. Both seems to work but the deer hair may fair better up.

8. j.sonnenfelt

j.sonnenfelt New Member

Yes they do make a rug shell head for a whitetail. It is either in research manikins or dan chase catalog. I think it will be cool would like to see pics when you finish

9. rockcity4

rockcity4 New Member

Chase Taxidermy Supply has them

10. you certainly wouldn't be the first lots of people have done them. Do a search they do look good IMO and I think by the time you order a rug shell you would be just as well off using an old form and modifying the head. http://www.dhaseleertaxidermy.com/page1/page12/page12.html this is just one site.

11. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

I stand corrected - I still would recommend the wall hanger as you mentioned. The artificial euro mount skulls could probably be modified and used as the shell, or the replacement heads cut smooth on the bottom.

12. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

13. I saw a piebald deer rug. It was pretty cool. It had a small 6 point rack. No animal rugs are really made for walking on anyway.

Bruce