1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Question about K-9 teeth on Mnt lion and coyotes?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by coyotekiller70, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Can or should you seal the K-9 teeth with B-72 befor you put skull in with bugs , will it keep them from drying out and splitting? is that a bad idea, any help would be great.

2. AH7

AH7 New Member

VERY interesting question. I've never heard of sealing until after the skull is completely finished (degreased and whitened). Sounds like another good topic for an experiment!

3. RDMARTIN53

RDMARTIN53 Active Member

I would not want any deterrent from the bugs cleaning gums around the teeth although IF you have a "hot" colony they would eat all if not some of the plastic resin leaving a "funk" to deal with. My colony occasionally eats plastic truck seals I use to identify skulls. Another scenario is 'if" you are leaving your skulls in that long with your bugs to worry about cracking teeth then your colony is not large enough for the task....IMO.

4. I have experimentally sealed teeth with several ultra-thin coats of B-72 while waiting for the skull to dry (all cleaned, but not dry enough to seal the bones yet) to prevent them from cracking at that stage as that seems to be the stage where ALL my teeth crack in this climate and had success. But I wouldn't try to seal them before the final steps as you never know what might happen along the way to make you regret that. Though I admit it is a nice and entertaining thought to have a fail-safe cracking and splitting safety net from the beginning steps. :-\

5. taxidermyinlimited2011

taxidermyinlimited2011 Purchased the business in 2004

I personally wouldn't do it, the reason being, the mountain lions teeth are thinner and more curved and pointed than a dog's teeth. Not to mention, if the owner of the skull found out that could be a major problem, no matter how good your intentions are. I have found the gorilla glue super glue works to seal the teeth without splitting. It is shock resistant and therefore moves with the tooth, not allowing it to split. I do this AFTER I have finished all the cleaning. Bugs eat everything, so leave nothing to chance. If it could go wrong it will go wrong. So over thinking in this case is the way to go. You can get skulls reasonable through Moscow Hide n Fur, you maybe able to find replacements there at a reasonable rate.