1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

You get what you pay for

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by puzzle creek taxidermy, Feb 5, 2011.

1. mike108

mike108 New Member

PA
    Where' s the pics, blah blah blah post some pics!

2. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

Yeah that mule deer client did not get what he paid for. That was like maybe a $200 dollar mount but actually it should be a $0 dollar mount cuz the client should have paid nothing for it. I'm guessing puzzle's clients are getting what they pay for but I should hold my tongue until we see pics but I just have this funny feeling.

3. Chris H

Chris H New Member

I am a beginner who loves the "art" of taxidermy. Like puzzle I do it for the pure joy of it not solely for the proffit. I do how ever have enough since to know what work load is enjoyable for me as a hobby. For me to get deer heads to mount, I will charge what is necessary to keep my work load manageable. If I'm wanting to mount 12 deer a year and your charging 350.00 but this year I get 17 deer to do, then I raise my price. If I have to charge 800.00 a head to keep it in the range of my manageable work load then that's what I will charge. I feel if your doing it for the fun of it then you are going to do the best you can with the up most attention given to every deer. Sorry if no one agrees with me. My price is not a reflection of me wanting to corner the market in my area and put other hard working taxidermists out of business. I do want to be the best in my area and would love to be able to get a grand a piece. I to wold love to see some pics.

4. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

puzzle, are you going to post your pics still or have you rolled over that easy? If you believe in your work and you think it is that good you would post it to shut everyone up. Looking forward to seeing the pics.

5. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

He wont be back, he bowed out like a blowup doll with a knife wound.

6. Bowman

Bowman New Member

He'll be back in a week. Waiting on his snap together deer head to get in..... I've honestly never seen anyone produce superior (or acceptable) work for sub par prices. I LOVE my job....hate Fridays and love Mondays.....I'll give it up before I give my hard earned $$$ up. When I mount a deer I put my heart and soul in it.....when it leaves the shop I miss it.....that's my deer.....i assure you, if I'm at 275, I've lost all respect for myself and my customer. Now, I'll never claim to be the best. I'm not sure if I'll ever get past being absolutely obsessed with every flaw of every piece....but I'll never justify that flaw by having a total disdain for the industry and more importantly myself. That animal created by God deserves better....

7. I -wish- I could give people quality work for that price. I really do. :(

8. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

9. abbytaxi

abbytaxi Member

I have no problem with a guy putting out a $275 dollar mount and thinking he's making money. Like Mike P said he'll burn out and hate it in no time. The part I don't get is saying you do nice work and then being proud of yourself for not making any money. If you don't want to charge a respectable price more power to you, but what part of that are you proud of?
    It's like a guy with a degree being proud that he works at mcdonalds

10. mike108

mike108 New Member

PA
    PICS????? STILL WAITING.........

11. rbear

rbear Well-Known Member

Blow up doll with a knife wound. T where do you hang out?
    We should take up a pole to see how many people believe there will be pics.
    Ralph

12. CLASSY!!!

13. rbear

rbear Well-Known Member

I'm only getten $200.00 a peace for a dear head now you want me to spell correctly.
    Ralph

14. x2

15. TheBigGuy1976

TheBigGuy1976 New Member

Where r the pics? PUzzle we are still waiting!

16. bowhuntnnut

bowhuntnnut 210-260-0190

U all know that's just bygolly coming back and firing u all up

17. Puzzler creek taxdiermy u should take these guys advise. I was charging $65.00 for a squirell mount, and now I am at $80.00. I've been happier in my life. That extra $15.00 in my pocket pays for my gas and groceries.

18. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama

What? ??? ???

19. Ron look at these two threads and you'll see why.

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,109515.0.html
    http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,219555.msg1550279.html#msg1550279

Also make a bowl of popcorn your going to need it.

20. striker12

striker12 Member

puzzle, $275.00 :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D yes I'm laughing at you. But don't get mad you'll figure it out around the same time you wake up and stop cutting your Owen throat . but don't worry there will be some other know it all there for you to laugh at. this seems to be the norm some rookie sitting there thinking I don't have to make as much as a fulltimer I have a regular job. :D :D :D :D :D :D good luck 275.00 that's funny