1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Do you need to shave a wt twice?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by babowhunter, Feb 6, 2011.

1. babowhunter

babowhunter Man,I love this stuff!!

I put a wt cape in a pickle and left it in there for 3 days then shaved it and put back in the pickle for 1 more day and then shaved it again because the hide was so thick in the neck area. I shaved it down to the blue but in some spots the hide seemed tough and couldn't get down to the blue.Do i need to leave it in the pickle longer and shave again or if i tan it will the tan soak into the hide and I'll be able to shave it thinner after that?I am using a McKenzie tan and have gone Thur all the steps of fleshing,splitting ,salting and leaving till hard,rehydrating and putting into the pickle at a pH of 1.0 to 1.5.This is my first pickle and tan!

2. bearrug48

bearrug48 Active Member

It is not necessary to salt and dry the hide till it is hard.salt and dry for a few days and then pickle.
    Shave as many times as you prefer,but remember too many times and you will start going thru the hide.Tan will penetrate the thicker parts as well as the thinner parts. hope this helps.

3. babowhunter

babowhunter Man,I love this stuff!!

Can i shave the thicker parts after i tan it then?

4. Yes you can.

5. RTF

RTF Active Member

Yep. Pretty much what I do with my dremel as I do not have a fleshing machine.

6. dktaxidermy

dktaxidermy I'm on top of the dirt; how bad can it be?

what attachment do you use on your dremel to shave hides?

kirby

7. X 2 ??

8. RTF

RTF Active Member

I just use the little sanding drum. With the dremel set on medium it will sand right down without any problems. It will be a little time consuming. It takes me roughly 25 minutes to do a cape from nose to brisket.

9. Kirby,,,,,, What do you make of that ? I must be doing something way wrong. It takes me a little longer than that with a 13 inch currier knife over a fleshing beam!
    I might have to try it!

10. fozziebear

fozziebear Active Member

Takes me longer than that with my pro :D :eek:

11. Justin P.

Justin P. Active Member

You may need to rehydrate longer before pickling. I shave all my capes twice.

12. dktaxidermy

Dakota,,,it takes me more than 25 minutes to find my little sander thingy. Guess I could give it a try since i have a commercially tanned cape try it on. I usually do the best I can on the beam and around the face with a light bulb, then go with it.

13. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

Justin had a good point.

I think some of yall mis-understood his question.

Your skin needs to go back in pickle again, and maybe again. As Justin said, it was not fully rehydrated. No tan wil penetrate a hide that is not fully
    rehydrated, as you discribed.

I dis-agree with some of you on that tan thing. All shaving and thinning should be done before the tanning process starts. A skin that is left too thick
    will only surface tan, without the aid of a masking agent, to aid in penetration. Even then, it still has to be FULLY hydrated in order to tan.

14. A Light Bulb ??

15. dktaxidermy

Dakota, i put a light bulb under the face on the hair side and use it as a fleshing "beam". especially on thin skinned animals and around the eyes on a deeer. this lets me stretch the skin and work it over a round, smooth surface. the G20 or makeup mirror type work the best.

16. Sarge

Sarge A little too much Lord *hic*

I have done like Kirby is saying as well and it works great just pick up a cheap light socket like you would mount on a ceiling for a regular round bulb, screw in the bulb and you have an instant stand for the bulb. Set it on the bench grab a Scalpel and make nice clean shaves anywhere you want.

Jeff

17. Got ya ! I sawed off and ground smooth the narrow end of a baseball bat. I can insert it through the eye hole.
    I think i'm too rough for a light bulb. Sounds like it should work though!