1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Best time of year to buy hides?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by JRose, Feb 7, 2011.

1. JRose

JRose Member

I haven't been doing taxidermy too long. Just set up a shop a few months ago. One of the first things I mounted was an antelope pedestal. He's beautiful and I would love to do another on my own time. Seeing as I'm not familiar with the trading and selling of furs, is there a "season" for buying capes? That is to say, if I wait til summer to shop around for some practice capes, will I be hard pressed to find em? I've had a hard time finding many tanned capes. Not that I'm apposed to buying green, but with my current life schedule, I'm better off paying more and doing less time-consuming work. Any tips on buying would be useful! Thanks! - Jen

2. huntersdream

huntersdream New Member

no season on purchasing capes/hides I would say most of the seasoned taxis on here have a fair amount of capes in there freezers year round, I would do your homework on who to buy from as you can get burned easily over the net there are allot of good sellers and buyers on here. good luck, Huntersdream

3. bearrug48

bearrug48 Active Member

Hunters dream is right, dont be in too big of hurry to get hides.In time you can ge about anything you want and can afford.

4. JRose

JRose Member

Thanks for the info. I'm in no big rush... the new business becomes bigger and stronger every day. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missin' out on something that I wouldn't see til next winter.

5. OutbackJack

OutbackJack Member

PA
    I would recommend checking out some laws in certain states. If its a tanned hide you should be ok. Now if its green, it can be an issue.

6. JRose

JRose Member

I've talked with wildlife officials in Idaho a lot over the years, and it seems that once the animal is processed the parts are fair game. When dealing with raw you need to be good about documenting where it came from. It's pretty lax here. Although, between Fish and Game, BLM, and the Forest Service, I've talked to plenty of people that are misinformed (like badgers being federally protected and illegal to kill/buy/sell/trade). It gets frustrating when you can't find the proper answer to a question you have about the law! Perhaps someone on here knows a good way of going about checking these things out, should I ever run into problems?

7. bowkill

bowkill New Member

If you are talking badgers in idaho still that's easy its in the small game regs in furbearer defenitly not fed protected open year round in most areas check your area. But just a furbearer and one that dosnt have to be trapped.

8. bowkill

bowkill New Member

Oh and there is no sure way to check something not in the regs in idaho call and ask 3 offices and you will get three diffrent answers and I just started requesting there responses in writing. Then those that didn't know were not quite so willing to answer

9. JRose

JRose Member

Yeah, I learned long ago that 3 different F&G offices can give 3 very different answers. Also cross referencing information from BLM, Forest service, and F&G will lead me in circles. I've had Fish and Game officers encourage me to go pick up the nearest roadkill elk, yet from my knowledge that's entirely illegal. I eventually got ahold of one of the F&G head hancho rangers and only consult with him now. Which is good, because he deals with most of the taxidermists in the area, so I'm makin a good impression for myself. Thanks for the advice, everyone!

- Jen

10. dhart

dhart Active Member

It all depends upon what you are looking for and what time of year....prices fluctuate also.

11. the best time is in season the reason i say that is some of these trapers dont have the comon sense they were born with frezzer burnt after a long time in the frez. and worse they sell what is left over. i have one guy that i buy a pile of cats from and he makes sure that they are prepped correctly and not burned . he sells everything he gets to me . ive never been burned by him , some of the sellers on the net are not worth doing biz with you will learn as you go . money lost is a lesson learned . mark c