1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Green Porcupine

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Bullfrog, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Bullfrog

Bullfrog New Member

Where do you send your green porcupine to get shaved detailed and tanned and back ready to mount if you dont want to miss with them?????

2. Michelle_Nelson

Michelle_Nelson Bring on the Bears!

;D Are you afraid of getting poked? Porky's are one of the few critters that repeatedly get you back even after they are dead. ;D

3. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    I swear, some of you people on here crack me up to no frigging end!

You don't want to "mess" with them? What are you 12? You had better start learning how to "mess" with everything if you want to be a Taxidermist, or you best prepare to do something else!

Porcupine are one of the few mammals I take in that are handled start to finish "in-shop". This includes fleshing their greasy little skins, washing them, toweling off the moisture, salting them, pickling them, then tanning them ... using Lutan-F.

You have a lot to learn, and the first thing should be ... don't take in anything you are not prepared to "mess with!"

To start, lay an old, thick towel on your workbench, then lay the skin on top of it, quills down on the towel. The towel will protect the quills from being broken. Yes, the quills need to be protected.

Then take your time to flesh the skin. Be careful and be aware that the actual skin is thinner than it feels due to the quills beneath it!

You can use a serrated fish skinning knife to scrape the skin. The serrations will help get around the heavy roots that hold the quills, removing the fat, and breaking up the thin membrane attached to the skin.

Breaking this subdermal fascia will allow the salt to fully penetrate the skin, and also allow the chemicals easier access to the skin during the pickling and tanning processes.

Work slowly, deliberately, and carefully!

And if you think our North American Porcupine are tough critters, then you will be in for a treat if you ever get to work on and African Crested Porcupine!
    [​IMG]

Good luck!
    John.

4. bearrug48

bearrug48 Active Member

I do it all in shop. prepare to learn a lot when doing these critters.

5. Michelle_Nelson

Michelle_Nelson Bring on the Bears!

I just did my first one this year. It is kinda like fleshing a turkey. I sent mine to the tannery.

6. Terry Vining

Terry Vining last photo together

Mi
    I use a bird fleshing wheel on porcupines. It works for me. I also wear a leather glove on the non skinning hand just because I feel better with it on. I just mounted two up and the only pokes I got was in finishing around the face.

7. Bullfrog

Bullfrog New Member

Hey Thanks Terry for the info i was thinking that they were alittle harder to do then that and didnt want to screw them up bye loseing any or alot of the quills...

8. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

You didnt say if you have one already, but if you havent tried, go for it. Id put them on a smooth hard surface, as theyll stick to everything and pull the quills if you dont. Youll find them so greasy that youll soon learn to quickly prep and salt them, and then get them into a pickle WITH degreaser in it. I suggest a waterbased degreaser, but opinions vary. Then like these guys say, shave/prep slowly and by hand, and the bird flesher is smart too, cuz the quill bases are heavy and will poke through the back of the skin when shaving conventually. One other thing...I have ALWAYS worked on porcupines while STANDING UP...no sitting! Think of where those loose quills might end up and use your imagination. ;) Been there, done that.

9. Bullfrog

Bullfrog New Member

Thanks For the tips and hints Bill ,
    I was going to send it out to get preped and tanned but i think u and terry are helping me think that i can handle this.. I amsumed that it was going to be alittle tough to do. Didnt want to screw it up there arent alot of them running around to go get another one.. I do have a good bird flesher and knifes so hopfully i got all the proper tools . ;D I like that there are people on this site that help the new guys get started and teach them all the things that they have learn over the years... THANK YOU ;D

10. John Bellucci :
    I guess Deadhed isn't the only one who doesn't want to mess with everything! ;D

11. Fallofthewild

Fallofthewild bird brains

Wild prairie: X2

and DEADHEAD, I'd be totally screwed if it weren't for the great people on Taxidermy.net! There are some douchebags, and they make themselves known, but a great portion of the people are here to help!

The jerks just make themselves more obvious then the rest of us! ;)

12. fun little buggers to play with lol, one I did a few years ago

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

when he was still drying

[​IMG]

13. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

I WON'T be of any help ,had a guy call me up about one then never showed ,neat animals saw quite a few in Colorado ,appeared unafraid an was amazed at the size of them ,hope you get the answers you need!!

14. elkmasterwyo

elkmasterwyo New Member

Don't let the negative attitudes run you off, some are just that, some are negative sounding but if you listen they do offer great information, then some are just great guys here to help. Hang in there

15. Cathy

Cathy N.E.A.T President

Ok now I got a porky question to add. What are some good ways to get the quills to stand? I have one that is TOTALLY covered with quills, head to tail to feet. So what can I put under there, it's almost ready to mount...

16. wildriver

wildriver New Member

good hide paste and back brush will get them to stand up

17. irishme

irishme New Member

BESIDES, I THOUGHT PORCUPINES WERE KINDA BLACK, NOT GREEN ;D

18. timwilly

timwilly I lost my agenda !!!

Hang him upside down while he's drying....this will make the quills stand up nicely. I've done it several times and it works very well.

19. Cathy

Cathy N.E.A.T President

I wondered about that, Tim, since I knew some people did that with strut turkeys. Thanks, guys.