1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Domestic house cats

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by KTtaxidermy, Feb 8, 2011.

1. KTtaxidermy

KTtaxidermy New Member

Im not new to taxidermy,, but Ive been requested to do a couple house cats.. Never done domestics. I know I can tan the cats, if anyone has done them did you cast and form your own mannikins?? any suggestions are welcome. Thanks !!

2. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I've never wanted to do one so I always quote $1500 and up for cats and dogs are even higher. I'm sure someday I'll have someone agree to such a high price then I'll have to decide to cast the carcass or have the whole animal freeze dried. Let me know how it turns out. I've always wondered what it would be like to do one.

3. Cast. Cast cast cast cast cast.

Or freeze dry, but I just don't like the look of freeze-dried cats and dogs. Something just looks wrong about them.

4. Oh bull crap you dont have to cast it. Look through the catalog and find a smaller form and alter it. Not any real problem to fins the right size head and cut a section out of the body to shorten it. Unless it is a super fat house cat, then get the right length and add a bunch of gorilla poop.

Dextrine vermiculite and dextrine to add to the belly size.

5. Well. I just think that most people want their pet to be as acurate to the real thing as possible, and personally I think casting is really the way to go.

If you're a good modifier or forms, then go for it. :p
    Or you can carve your own, and if you're a good carver, those turn out awesome!

6. hardcase

hardcase I can do all things through Christ.Philippians4:13

NC
    Touchstone Forms now available from Quality Taxidermy 1 888 527-8722

They have house cat forms

7. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

I've heard that there is more than one way to skin them... ::)

8. There's also wrapped bodies. . . I've seen some good result, and bad results with them.

9. KTtaxidermy

KTtaxidermy New Member

Thanks for all the insight,, I wont get the cats until they are dead,, BUT... I will go with wrapped wood wool, and cast the heads. I will see how that works. Thanks again !!

10. dhart

dhart Active Member

I hope I will never get a request for a cat...of any kind.

11. rocco

rocco New Member

I hate cats

12. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

You can always say no. Thats what I have always done.

13. I think I want to take my statements back a little, and change what I said.

What I was getting at was, no matter what you choose to do, you should absolutely customize the form to fit the cat as best as possible, especially if it's a customer's cat, and not your own.

Domestic pets of any kind, are a tough sell, and a tough job, because the customer had a relationship with the animal, and wants the personality preserved in the taxidermy.

Whereas if you were doing a bobcat that someone went out and shot, or trapped, they only want it to look like a bobcat, and not roadkill. :p

I hope that makes sense and gets my point across better. . .

14. Oh they are not a tough sell!!. I dont try to sell the client, the client has already sold themselves that they want little fee fee around forever. So the next step is said to say "It is time to take major advantage of them.
    $1500.00 for any house cat, with an increase in price if the animals has health problems that can effect the final out come.

The people also sign a wavier, accepting the fact that health, stress and handling prior to you getting it will/may effect the outcome.

Now it is on the client. totally on them.

You dont start any work until it is paid in full!!!! or you are screwed!!!! even if they need time to pay it out, you dont do squat until its paid for.

Once they have paid, then bust your arse do the best work you can and get it back to them!!

I have done parakeets, canaries, cats, dogs and tanned snake hides (13 ft albino blah blah) $4.75 per inch!!!! Guess what the client paid in full today!!!!

Parakeets simple price of $500.00plus habitat normally goes under a glass dome from Hobby Lobby add another $195.00.

One day next week I will be going to pickup a couple dogs. I have stressed to the lady several times about how they need to be handled to be put down. they are old, she has to have surgery and will be in the hospital by herself and then to rehab for 6 weeks. So its going to be 3 months and noone can handle her dogs, the kennel refuses as they do bite. So she is left with putting them down. one f 15 and the other is 14, she has already put the 12 year old pup of the two down. If the old lady has complications she could be in care a lot longer. I tookt he time and went to meet the dogs and most times I can sooth a dog or almost any domestic animal. these dogs are nutts Absolutely nutts!!! The lady dont want them hurting someone. I offered to go and feed them and even clean the pens.Would have done this at no charge to help her out. The ladys health is not good and if she has complications things could be the same, the animals get put down.

So what do you do???

Now let me ask you simple and plain are you willing to walk away from $15,000.00 dollars???????? You can invest $1000.00 time and materials and make some money.

15. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

So is it better and easier to do a skin mount or ship them off to be freeze dried?

16. D.C.O

D.C.O Dreamcatcher Outfitters & Taxidermy

Freeze dry it.

17. When people ask me about having one of their pets mounted, I tell them to ask themselves if they REALLY want to do that. Do they want to have to dust off Fluffy? I tell them I wouldn't want to have one of my own pets mounted, but it is up to them. I then tell them I'll send them out to be freeze-dried. I did mount a bunny for a family. They seemed happy with it.

But as someone mentioned, it is very hard to capture that 'sparkle' or personality an owner sees in their pet, even on canvas. One can paint a picture of their dog, but unless you capture the essence of the dog, the owner won't like it. Trying to do that with taxidermy would be even harder to accomplish. At least in 'fine art' you can always erase/redraw or repaint it until you get it right (or reasonably close).

I would definitely require the money up front and make no guarantees, other than it will be a good taxidermy job.

That's too bad about that lady and her dogs, John. Sad on many levels. Good luck with that. :-\

18. D.C.O

D.C.O Dreamcatcher Outfitters & Taxidermy

Sleeping pose is always best imo

19. The only ones I've ever seen that I genuinely liked, were in sleeping positions.

20. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

I've been asked if I do pets (cats or dogs) and I say no. It's one thing for a hunter to bring in a deer that he/she only saw the one time he/she shot it. It's a totally different story if someone brings in an animal that they looked every day for X amount of years. They know every facial expression the animal made and if I didn't get it perfect the customer will be more than upset. They could be down right furious.
    Some taxidermists do a great job on pets and all the power to them, but it's one headache I don't want.