1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

selling my woodduck question

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by wishbone, Feb 9, 2011.

1. wishbone

wishbone New Member

ok im a fish guy so i dont know....i mounted a duck a few years ago while in taxidermy school...it is pen raised and i have proof of sale...can i sell it?

2. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

yes if you have papers...do you have migratory bird permit

3. wishbone

wishbone New Member

i own a federal taxidermy license...and have proof of purchase that its a pen raised bird...so i should be ok?

4. smalliestalker

smalliestalker and a river runs through it.

You are alright ONLY if you do indeed have a current Federal Taxidermy Permit.

It is possible to purchase a Fed Taxi Lic without the permit if you got it to do fish,
    upland game, mammals, ...

You would have had to supply a copy of your current PERMIT when you purchased the Fed Taxi Lic. to be able to sell the woodie.

5. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

This has been very informative to me. I wasn't aware that in order to sell a mounted duck with papers you need to have a federal taxidermy permit.
    Doesn't make sense, but then again, NONE of the laws that have anything to do with waterfowl make any sense.

6. wishbone

wishbone New Member

im confused again...i have a federal taxidermy lic. and state....and proof(receipt) that i bought this duck in school.....is the permit different than the fed.lic.?

7. smalliestalker

Yes.

On the LIC you declare which you will be doing. Here is some of the text from a LIC application ...

I request a license to perform taxidermic services on the following groups of wildlife (check all that apply.)
    Game mammals Game amphibians Furbearing mammals
    Upland game birds Game fish Unprotected wildlife

Migratory birds (waterfowl & dove) --- Federal permit required.

Federal Taxidermy Permit. If you are requesting a license to perform taxidermy on migratory birds (ducks, geese,
    swans, doves), attach a copy of your current federal taxidermy permit issued by the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service to this application. If the federal permit is pending, send a copy to the Department as soon as you receive it.

8. scpol

scpol Wholesale Bird Taxidermy....Fan of Mike & Harry

If you have a copy of the 3-186 transfer form...You can sell it..Its a game farm bird..

9. wishbone

wishbone New Member

i have a 3-201 federal fish and wildlife permit....im looking at it now....

10. smalliestalker

Never having dealt with pen raised ducks, I did not realize they were in a different class of migratory birds. Sorry. Was intending to clarify his question about LIC v PERMIT, not muddy the water. : )

11. wishbone

wishbone New Member

me either really.........its the only duck ive ever done...ill just keep it...tooo much for me....but thanks for the help

12. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

wishbone, it's only as hard as you make it. lol You said you have the paper work, so you can sell it.

13. wishbone

wishbone New Member

you are right...i just read on the permit: authorized to sell captive-reared,marked waterfowl which have been lawfully mounted.

thanks for all the help....it led me to read my own permit..lol...thank you

14. the 3-186 should stay with the bird which proves it is a captive raised bird.also, the bird has to be properly marked( i.e.right hind toe clipped/closed seam band/pinioned) are generally the three most common ways of marking.if its not marked and you dont have a 3-186 showing it was captive raised, it would be tough to prove where it was aquired.

15. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

smallie are you refering to a state taxidermy license? never heard of a federal license...just fed mig bird permit....all states do not require a license..and yes you need the 186 form but you also need the fed mig bird permit which allows you to purchase,mount and re-sell...which you have...you are ok to sell it.....put in up on e-bay and see what you can get....woodies go good there

16. smalliestalker

byrdman, why don't you ask wishbone? He is the one who has one.
    I googled and found many instances of "Federal Taxidermy License", but had to look it up too, since I had not heard of it either.