1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

My second whitetail

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by JRose, Feb 9, 2011.

1. JRose

JRose New Member

I'd like to get a little feedback on the second whitetail I did. The first game head I ever did was a whitetail, and well, I don't need second opinions to know how bad it was! But I did a few other species and came back to the whitetail with much more knowledge. I figured I may just get some useful tips here to help further my skills. I dont' have 360 degree photos, but hopefully these suffice. It was a flawed cape for practice, there are a few slip marks and some large bullet holes. The entire tip of the left shoulder is bare, but for a quick fix I painted it and hid it was a bit of foliage. He's been groomed a bit more and fluffed up since these photos.

Attached Files:

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    The nose looks alright from what I can see. The ears appear to need the most improvement. They don't look turned all the way. The position is off and the earbutts look like blobs with no definition. Use reference when mounting anything and everything. The throat patch looks off-centered, and you have too much bottom lip showing for my taste. It shouldn't be any wider than the bottom of the nose. On the next practice one take the time and cut out the bald spot and sew it up. It is good practice for when it matters. Keep at it and they should get better. Good Luck

3. JRose

JRose New Member

The ears are bondo ears, so that may be why they look goofy. I'm not a fan of earliners... but still working out a technique. Thank you for pointing out the ear butts. I never learned to sculpt them properly, but recently saw a post here with many useful pictures that I will keep in mind. I also did not intend on the ears being positioned the same way. I find the odd-eared mounts to look a bit more natural to me.

4. bearrug48

bearrug48 Active Member

nice job,keep up the practice

5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    If you are set against ear liners than might I suggest using a plaster cast to set the ears on while they kick. It helps to give the right shape more consistently. I do not know where to get them I have only seen them used before. I understand what you said about wanting them in different positions, but appears to me that you have them on the form in different locations. No matter which way you turn them the ear canal still comes out of the skull the same spot, usually. Look on here in the reference picture section you will find some good photos of earbutts. Duplicate the muscle detail shown in them the best you can and it will improve the looks of your deer. Good luck

6. JRose

JRose New Member

Thanks. I learn mostly through understanding the anatomy of the animal. To me, if you don't understand how it's all put together, then you're just going off of what looks good. Which is mostly what I did starting out. After reading the advice here I sat down and sketched out some whitetails from an anatomical perspective, so I'll definitely keep it in mind. I'm working on a Mouflon right now, and will apply the same feedback here to that mount.

One problem I have is with the nasal passages- giving it that smooth transition to pink. I have used pink epoxy sculpt in the past (can't seem to find it anywhere now), but I've never successfully blended the skin into the clay to give it a smooth, moist look. Tips on that?

7. dbl.thraot_patch

dbl.thraot_patch New Member

Iowa
    What form is that on?

8. JRose

JRose New Member

I believe I ordered it from Research Mannikins. It's been a few months. Not sure of the form number.