1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

swollen heads

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by linder, Feb 10, 2011.

1. linder

linder New Member

I had a few deer brought to me this yr. that seemed to have hung upside down at the cooler for some time . the faces and necks on them were very swollen and had a lot of fluid and blood built up,was wondering if anyone Else has had to deal much with that .i wasn't sure how much it would put my mess. off so i just hung them up[ neck down, after caping] to see if i could reverse the problem,i thought id better take my mess. from the carcase. got to learn how to post pictures.

2. Southland Taxidermy

Southland Taxidermy Join your State and National Taxidermy Association

I have had a few of the water logged heads and I salt them with plain salt and this seems to help them drain the excess fluid off

3. BearB8

BearB8 Active Member

Had one just like that last year. Get on it right away and flesh and salt it imediately. I froze mine and came back later to flesh it cause I had 10 other heads to cape that day. All the hair slippped on the ears when I fleshed it a month later. The ears were 1/4 inch thick with water in them. I still remember the customer saying his head is huge. I didnt catch it at the time that he packed the chest cavity full of ice and hung it by the back legs. A big no no. Thank God I was able to get a set of replacement ears and you couldnt even tell when it was finished.

4. That is interesting, never heard of a water logged deer head.

5. bubba z

bubba z New Member

Half the deer I get are just like that . They hang them upside down in a cooler 7-10 days clean it and bring me the head to mount. I skin it out and freeze the cape to tan and mount later with no problems.

6. Dawg3458

Dawg3458 New Member

I had one like that in early dec. . Skinned, tanned,& mounted ok. Had a little slippage on the muzzle. but was a easy fix

7. HAPP

HAPP Active Member

For a water logged head, just skin it , split it, flesh it and get it done. I've been using an auto tanner for many years and have excellent results with it.

8. FeatherHorn

FeatherHorn New Member

I had a chocolate fallow come in like that. When I first saw it I thought he got in a fight with mike tyson!

9. linder

linder New Member

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR SUJESTIONS , I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY GUY THAT GOT THOSE KIND OF DEER. I HAVE HAD THEM LIKE THAT BEFORE AND THE ONLY THANG I KNEW WAS TO GET THEM SKINED, BACK IN THE FREZZER, LET THE HEAD HANG AWHILE THEN TAKE MY CARCASSE MESS.BUT THERE IS A LITTEL GUESSING AND TEST FITTING INVOLVED,I HATE THAT.

10. Outback 33

Outback 33 U.S.A.

I hate it when they come in like that but have had no problems when mounting, just a mess when skinning.