1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

This is the one species of animal.......................

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by michael p., Feb 10, 2011.

1. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

That when it comes into my studio fresh my arms hurt before I even touch it......this is the only animal I get regularly that I loathe fleshing........ugh when these things are mature they SUCK!!!!!! I'd rather flesh 2 elk or boar than 1 of these and I even use a Betcher flesher!! :D LOL

On a positive note though......it makes you realize how easy whitetail, muledeer and axis are to work with :)

[​IMG]

2. Chris H

Chris H New Member

What is it

3. michael p.

The Me

The Mexicans here refer to them as "El Diablo".....I call them "a @#$%ing Nilgai"! LOL

I bet every Taxidermist in Texas has a horror story about fleshing these animals or about the bullets that did not penetrate all the way through their shield (which you find when the blade hits it! LOL)

I hate them!!! ;D

4. fozziebear

fozziebear New Member

How are they different than a whitetail Micheal ? Serious question. ....ok I see ya said they have a sheild like a boar, got it!

5. michael p.

Nilgai IMO make a boar feel like a chicken in a comparison of fleshing! :) LOL Hogs have a shield on the back, once you get that area the rest is gravy.......Nilgai on the other hand have a shield that envelops the whole entire shoulder area and are much denser than a hog shield. Like I said, I would flesh 2 hogs over one of these any day!! LOL

Thing is, whether you are sending to a tannery of doing yourself, YOU MUSY get the shield off. If you do not, the salt will not penetrate.

Oh well, I try and look at the bright side....after fleshing this thing the rst of the whitetail and elk I have left will seem easy :) This one isn't gonna be too bad, he was a 700 pound bull so I will not cry too much.....but when you get an 800-900 pound bull in the door you start praying some guy named Jose or Juan come by looking for a good days work!

Here is a quick look at the shield on this one, it is right at 3/4 inch.

[​IMG]

6. I will trade you. I've got a big old herford cow that I'm working on. Man they suck.

7. michael p.

I'll trade you for that in 2 seconds flat!! Seriously! A cow hide doesn't even touch these except for weight restrictions!! LOL

8. FeatherHorn

FeatherHorn New Member

Hey Mike, is that not just the thickness of the hide? Or is it an actual shield ?

9. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Awe, yes..........Blue bull.

10. striker12

striker12 Member

makes my shoulder hurt looking at it. :eek:

11. Chris H

Chris H New Member

I had to find a pic. So if there is any one else out there wondering what one looks like, here it is

[​IMG]

12. michael p.

I call all of it the shield....thick hide is still flexible, these devils do not have much if any give and like I said.....it's the entire shoulder. Somebody always says there is one animal that they loathe no matter how much they charge....this animal would be mine, I charge more base price for these than I do elk :) Guess a few of them has just gotten the better of me in years past LOL

I had one about 8 years ago I skinned that had a 30-06 bullet stuck in the shoulder shield, the first shot the guy made did not even penetrate all the way through.

13. Chris H

Chris H New Member

I was looking at some Texas huntin sites and most recommend a minimum of a 300 win mag. and perfer larger. They just don't look that tough.

14. gab

gab Active Member

most taxidermists don't charge near enough to do those.I'm 1100 for a shoulder and 14 per ft to tan,and I don't think that's enough.

15. Twisted.

Twisted. Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

quit complaining ya big baby! lol
    Im glad i dont have stuff like that, whitetails are a breeze and thats all i really care to work on.
    But i do want a Sable Antelope!

16. michael p.

I'm a $1,050 on them.......guess i'm undercutting!! LOL

No chit!! I don't whimper about much nor do I procrastinate much................but you may notice i'm still typing on here and he's still laying there! Ii've found 2 deer to finish and some points to rebuild just so I can keep stepping over him!! ;D

17. Outback 33

Outback 33 U.S.A.

Are you still stepping over?

18. michael p.

Yep!

19. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

poor kyle

20. LOL, for real!