1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

DP

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by DI, Feb 11, 2011.

1. DI

DI Member

Can you use 20 Mule Team Borax as a dry preservative on Whitetails or is Dry Preservative better?

2. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Here we go again :D

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Why spend all that big money on Borax when you can use nothing at all? ;D

4. Chris H

Chris H New Member

just salt it real good and mount......

Not really. I think if your going to DP then you SHOULD by DP. Michael P has a good recipe using stop rot and DP that he has had a lot of good luck with.

5. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

For the record (and I have said this before) Borax is NOT a "DP". It's a bug proofer.
    DP has tanning agents along with other ingredients.
    Borax is fine on birds and some very small thin skinned animals, but IMO not good on anything bigger.

6. mike108

mike108 New Member

PA
    X2

7. linder

linder New Member

i just don't know what to say. i have started to notice that when anyone asks a question certain people on this site make such condescending remarks. This guy
    seems to be new to this site as I am and has a legitimate question that we all some times have. If you don't have an answer for him that's going to be a help to him.
    just don't reply. Maybe its a mistake on my part but my understanding was that this site was for questions and information. I have learned a great deal from some of you
    but have also learned that in the future I should be careful of what I ask, specifically because of this reason.
    Also, to answer the question I wouldnt use Borax on deer either. Send it off to be tanned that works best for me.

8. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

linder, my comment of "Here we go again" was a subtle way of saying "Do a search". I wasn't trying to be a jerk.
    People shouldn't be afraid of asking questions, but they should try the "search" feature. This subject has been asked so many times I'm sure it would come up.

9. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I am missing your point here,, you suggest he should send it out to a tannery?

10. bondo or earliners...lol

11. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I'm always amused that a guy pissing and moaning about how we didn't answer someone else's post never seems to have any inclination to answer it either. You know, you could always type your question in the "SEARCH" block.

12. rayray38821

rayray38821 New Member

I use a pressure washer after I pressure wash the hide I will let it drip dry,then I use borax to help shave then,after I shave it thin I will wash in pert plus shampoo,towel dry put your dp on it rub it in good then spay with stop rot. I let it hang while i get the manikin ready then I bondo my ears. I have had great results after trying what MP told me to do.

13. linder

linder New Member

Thanks redwolf ,didn't mean to come across rude .A lot of you guys(and girls) do beautiful work and it is a littel intimidating to ask some questions and to post some pictures which I would like to do and have the pleasure of you all critiquing it. George re- read my post, I did try to give an answer best to my knowledge, I didn't say no you cant use borax because I know pepole who do, but I just don't.

14. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

linder, I actually know people who use nothing at all. Doesn't mean I'd ever try that, but I know that you COULD.

15. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

don't get me started

16. george says use krowtan when in doubt ;D

17. ¿¿??

¿¿?? New Member

George perfers bondo ears, and bondo can also be used a a adhesive. - George