1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Alligator for garmet?

Discussion in 'Reptile Taxidermy' started by Scared Stiff, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Ok reptillians, I didn't post this in the wanted section since this is more of a question about. I need a piece of gator skin, approximately 12" by 24" that will be sewn into a jacket. Am I in the correct assumption that it will have to be garmet tanned? It wouldn't be in a flexible part of the jacket. Actually on the back of it. And how hard would it be to acquire a piece that size?

2. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

If you want it to be flexible, it will have to come from the belly skin or possibly the sides. If you use a back piece you would be adding a lumbar support to your jacket. ;D

3. skinningman

skinningman New Member

I can't imagine the scutes would be to comfortable to lean back on. As was said you need belly skin or from the sides. But not to sure of many people who have extra of that. All I have is being tanned for people who are making wallets and purses from them. I will ask if they have any left over if they might want to sell some. Because all the Taxidermists I know in the area buy them up.

4. RTPBearcat

RTPBearcat New Member

I have two gators tanned for garments. One was 9'4' and the other 11'8". Both were tanned peaut brittle. If you want a piece that is 12" X 24" you are going to need a piece from a big gator to have a decent looking scale pattern.

5. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

e bay

6. Don't get us started.

7. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

He's a spammer. He forgot to add the link to his post on this one.
    Great salesman. :D :D