1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Potters Clay?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by sportsman126, Feb 12, 2011.

1. sportsman126

sportsman126 New Member

Can i use regular potters clay for any taxidermy applications. I already have critters clay for the eyes and such. But i am unsure what the element difference is if any in potters clay and critter clay. For example, my reasoning makes me think i could use potters clay for toes and other non facial work. I wonder if potters clay drys to fast or have the ability to absorb moisture and change dramatically under a mount to have ill effects on it. I have a little over 100 pounds of clay as it is i use for the potters wheel. Thanks

2. muscle20

muscle20 New Member

I have used potters clay for over 40 years with no side effects or ill effects on toes, feet ear butts, eyes, potters clays shrinks more but it has its place. When sculpting with it just mist it with water so it does not dry out when you are working with it. At one time there was know such thing as critters clay, what do you think we used ?

3. sportsman126

sportsman126 New Member

Wow your right that thought completely slipped my mine, one of those questions with a simple answer you think to hard for. Guess good thing i make my own clay.

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

But today,,, we do have critter clay, it has minimal shrinkage. Potters clay for everything but eyes and mouth work here.

5. hounddoggy

hounddoggy Member

Same as T. Ear butts get the gray from the big block and eyes get the white from the little block.

6. sportsman126

sportsman126 New Member

yeah thanks guys ima have to try a shrink test of different forms of clay i have access to and figure it out.

7. Glen Conley

Glen Conley KARMA GOOSE R.I.P. 2006-2006

Plastic bottle caps make dandy little containers for testing clay shrink.

8. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

ROTFLMAO He's BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK.

Glen, you KNOW that will go right over someone's head. Good to see you here, however. And in case I forgot to tell you lately, that Stop Rot is some GREAT STUFF. What did we do before you marketed IT?????? Oh, that's right....the hair fell out and the skin decayed. LOL

9. dhart

dhart Active Member

I use clay from the Paoli Clay company in Paoli Wisconsin. $10 for a 25 pound block, good price, great clay.