1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mckenzie tan???

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by bmdakk, Feb 12, 2011.

1. bmdakk

bmdakk Report to moderator

Does it hurt this stuff if it gets frozen? I have tanned a coon a fox and 2 deer capes with it and have never had any trouble. I tanned a L/S coyote a couple weeks ago and its slipping real bad in ithe ears and face. in the pickle 3 days at 1.5, put on the tan and let it set for a day. I then rinsed it and washed it in salt water and some fabric softner and froze for about two weeks. Got it out of freezer last night , thawed and was taking the ear cartlidge out and noticed the slipping. any suggestions?

Also just a note this thing was skinned 4 hrs after it was shot, turned and split and brushed on Stoprot. and into the freezer.

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

The skin on the ears is thin, you can push the fur off just by man handling it. Ear slip gets blamed on a tanning process blunder, when most of the ear slip is due to heavy thumbs and fingers.

3. bearrug48

bearrug48 Active Member

Ears on Fox and coyote can be a problem ,use care and handle gently.If you are removing the cartilage you are making the process harder to do without hair loss. Try doing bondo and fiberglass on some ears and see if it works better for you. the cartilage will be left in
    the ear.

4. Could have surface tanned, didn't see you mention the neutralize bath. Tanning solutions will bond to the most acidic areas first.