1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

? for mr wendt

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by Smeja, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Smeja

Smeja New Member

I'm curious.... How long does it take you to skin a yote for life size?

2. elkmasterwyo

elkmasterwyo New Member

I bet Bob whips one out in the time it takes you to get rid of a cup of coffee ;D

3. bob wendt

bob wendt indiana, wyoming and kansas

young still hot yoy ( young of the year) maybe say 5-6 minutes. cold 5 year old grizzled one 1/2 hour. the old ones are 3 times harder than pups. if you let one get cold and lose body heat, mutiply by 3 again. on a typical day I might have say 8-10 coyotes, 4-5 coon, 4-5 skunks, and a badger or two and a cat or two and maybe an odd thing like a beaver to do. after running the traps those need proscessed and then go move traps around and rotate the line to keep the catch up and then try to get a bite to eat and sleep 5 hourss and then do it all again. only thing I regret is some day I`ll get too old to do it and have to quit. and I want to do it forever.

4. I don't think people realize the amount of time a trapper has to put into his work. Most people would probably do it for a day and then say "forget this". Having trapped to a lot smaller degree than what Bob and others do, I do admire them for the work they put into trapping, but the little credit that they deserve or get for it. Its seems that the amount of time they put into it and the small return that they get out of it per hour, you know all of them love what they are doing.
    GOOD JOB Bob and to all the other trappers here on this site.

5. bob wendt

this i all taxidermy skinning. if I just ripped them off for the fur market I could halve the skinning time. I sell everything but the bark and have figured it over and over and it`s hard to NET over 12 bucks an hour even with hi dollar cats. then pay my own health insurance and soc sec and federal and state taxes out of that 12 bucks. if a guy doesn`t really really like doing it, he could make more money doing anything else at all, bagging grocerys, anything. but it is the path I chose in life. no regrets and would do it all over again if given the choice. many folks dread going to work, I wake up every hour hoping it`s time to go again, finally I can`t stand it anymore and leave an hour early. how do you put a value on that??????

6. with out people like Bob, people like me would never get the opportunity to purchase and/or mount different "quality" specimens. For that I thank Bob and everyone else that is an honest seller on here.

7. elkmasterwyo

elkmasterwyo New Member

I've yet to sprout a single gray hair, but even I can see that as being PRICELESS! Someone once told me, find somethiny you love doing, then find a way to get paid doing it. Damn i sure wish i would have followed that advice!

8. bob wendt

never too late. I sold a thriving vet clinic in `84, to trap fulltime. never looked back. fur in the winter, `live or adc in the summer.

9. Bob, maybe when you hit your 70's I'd be able to keep up with you for a week or two (even though I'm 10 years younger). I don't really need instruction, just think it would be fun!
    Chuck

10. dhart

dhart Active Member

Being on Warfarin, I would take much longer than Bob, because I do not need a nick on me, I am a bleeder.

11. vikesbull

vikesbull New Member

You don't put a value on that Boib, I admire you for doing what you love. I hope to do the same once the kids are out of the house.

12. bob wendt

I started with three under 5 years old. we were poor but never lacked for the real needs. the kids and everyone went to wyoming every summer and they stayed till school started back east in the fall. I`d leave may 10th or so and the rest follow in early june and then I`d stay till it got frosty,maybe a monrh after the rest of the family went home. one year when the middle girl was 13 I saw a letter she wrote to a girlfriend at home, lamenting she was "stranded " on a ranch inthe middle of nowhere. our closest neaghbor was about 15 miles and closest grunt town 26 miles, closest REAL grocery store 60 miles. all the girls learned spanishand denning and trapping and ranch life. 2 ended in the west and the third went to hell. can`t win them all. but ended up 2 out of 3. lots of good storys I could tell, but save that for another day. most of my ranchers I1vwe been on over 25 years now and they are lifelong friends that I could call anytime for anything. on two different corners of the state. some are getting old now, some dieing. it worries me a lot if I don`t here from one regular, as lots of aging going on.