1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

MT. Lion fur quality in April

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Kraig, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Recently I have had 2 clients tell me they may be going on a MT. Lion hunt in April. They would be hunting W. Colorado/ E. Utah. Elevation 5000-7000 feet. I would think that the fur would be less than desirable at this time of year. The hunt would cost between $3k-$6k.
    So I am asking the cat experts on here for their opinions please.

2. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    If you keep in mind, that March can be a very cold month in many states, that April follows March, and there have been snow storms on Easter in April, then hunting a Cougar up in the mountains where it remains colder for a longer period of time really should not present a problem. Plus I seriously doubt a hunting guide wants his clients shooting Cougars that are not prime looking specimens. It's not good for his business to be known as the guy who guides hunters up to shoot "giant Weasels!" ;) It should be fine. Hopefully you'll get some answers from those who have hunted that elevation at that time of year. Maybe you should also direct this question to some of the hunting sites out there as well.

Good luck to you,
    John.

3. bearrug48

bearrug48 Active Member

I dont see any problems .

4. ramangs

ramangs New Member

PA
    I took this cat early april in NE utah, temp was 40s no issues

Attached Files:

5. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Nice Cat! Congrats!

John.

6. bowkill

bowkill New Member

I hunt bear at half that high in mid april and I am ussually using a snowmobile to get to the baits till at least 1st of may. I'm thinking 5000 feet they are still hunting in snow for sure

7. Snow here @ 5000 ft. not likely. Temp. today is 57. Actually 1 of these clients told me that the reason this outfitter has April hunts is to show off his dogs dry tracking skills.
    John, you seem to give more credit to outfitters than I. All they are after is the $$$ as far as I see it. If the season is open and some one wants to hunt they will oblige them.
    Not trying to knock anyone just wanted to get a better understanding.
    Thanks all for the replies, and maybe I will get 2 more cats this spring.