1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

newbie questions

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by muskrat man, Feb 13, 2011.

1. muskrat man

muskrat man New Member

and yes I already checked the archives but couldnt find the exact answer I was looking for :)

I'm assuming for pickling and rehydrating plastic totes are o.k?

Can the pickle be re-used? Say I put a batch in the pickle today, could I put in another batch in the morning?

thanks!
    using bear essentials products BTW

2. bearrug48

bearrug48 Active Member

It is best to use a new pickle on everything and keep Items seperate.

3. muskrat man

muskrat man New Member

keep items separate? so if I have 5 coon hides to tan I should pickle and rehydrate each one separately?

4. muscle20

muscle20 New Member

You can hydrate your skins all at the same time! And pickle all at the same time! Not separately, just make sure you have a plastic tote or plastic garbage can large enough and deep enough to submerge the skins, with a lot of room for agitating them freq. this will speed up full rehydrating, Do not remove them till they are fully hydrated, as though you just removed them from the animal, limp and supple, coons should hydrate well before 24hours max. Same size container for pickling, all at the same time, at least 100 grams salt per liter, keep pH at 2.0 or lower, agitate freq. for a few days, shave, degrease, back in the pickle, keep your pickle warm not hot works faster, You can use your pickle for a new batch of skins but I do not recommend it, as the pickle can get dirty and you must maintain the salt content.