1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Painting Perch

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by WildNatureLuver, Feb 13, 2011.

1. WildNatureLuver

WildNatureLuver New Member

Have a nice perch to paint and was wondering if any one can tell me how to get that nice bright golden yellow color on the side of the fish , I use poly transpar paints also what scale tipping they might do . Thank You very much.

[​IMG]

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

It's going to be the choice of your paints. It's NOT by gold tipping but rather by layering your paints. I'm supposing you don't have the Breakthrough Fish Finishing Manual. They have a great paint schedule in there that will make it look just as good as the minute you pulled it from the water.

3. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

Nice looking perch. And I agree with George. The Breakthrough Fish Finishing Manual is very nice.

4. WildNatureLuver

Thank You for the reply , i have all the painting encyclopedia's from Breakthrough and they are fine painting schedules but i was looking to try & get that brilliant yellow gold color . Can't wait till Rick Krane comes out with a perch & bluegill DVD Thanks again.

5. I can not disagree more. A combination of layering colors and using Pearl Ex golds will give you the look you want. Experiment on the back side until you achieve the desired effect.

6. WildNatureLuver

Thank You for replying , I have all the Pearl Ex powders. Have another perch mounted to experiment on , found a paint schedule for the best in world walleye 1984 , they used a color, bright yellow FP 260 & Shimmering Gold FP 442 equal parts , perhaps i will try that along with the gold powders to start with. Thx again

7. George

I never meant to imply you "Couldn't" use tipping, but I'm sort of a purist. I've seen a couple yellow perch in my time and I don't recall any natural tipping as we see in trout, salmon and even bass. I do KNOW however, that many fishheads prefer to one-up nature, so it that's your thing, go for it.

8. Brian W

Brian W Well-Known Member

I like the candy colors.....c bright yellow, c golden yellow and c light green in additon to the orange you need for the fins. C Paynes gray for the dorsal and caudal....I would use a soft charcoal stick for the markings and some pearlescents for the head area (ie interference blue, blue-green ). You dont have to, but you can tip scales with a pearl-x yellow and/or hit the perch with a gold shimmer mist before the gloss.......nice mount. Post a pic when your done........

9. I like the cadmium yellow for the bright yellow perch. I also like that color on the fin markings on walleye.
    That is a nice looking mount and would be fun to paint.

10. George

That IS a good job on that fish and it looks like some excellent blending work around the head. I'd like to see it when it's finished.

11. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

x2.
    Post it when you finish painting it.

12. WildNatureLuver

Thank You all for responding and the compliments on the mount , have a lots a ideas to try, thx again

13. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

I would like to see the finished mount too.

14. warthog

warthog Member of VVA and VFW

One thing you don't want to do is get carried away with all of the metallics and candies. Because if you over use these colors you can end up with a fish that looks like it came from Matel Toy Co. Just remember to be subtle with these colors.

15. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

Warthog I beg to differ with you on the candy colors. It is much easier to overdue it with standard translucent and opaque colors and block out underlying details and get the fake look, which I think is what you are referring to with the Matel Toy reference. Metallics I would tend to agree, can be overdone quite easily. Candy colors on the otherhand because of the absence of pigment, make them hard to overdue it with.

16. WildNatureLuver

Here is a picture of a smaller perch i painted before , it's OK but was looking for a more bright fish, thank you all for your replies

[​IMG]

17. jvan

jvan Member

ma
    That right there would make a great swimbait if you add some hooks!! Looks good

18. George

I have to agree with you in the colors looking muted. That's a shame on such a nice fish. I never had that with the Breakthrough schedule. I just got lucky I guess.

19. WildNatureLuver

Yes George your correct , do you have a picture of one of yours by any chance? This is more like the color I am looking for just not sure how to get it. Thank You for your interest .

[​IMG]

20. Don't be concerned with George, he just dips them and ships them. I have never seen him post a picture of a finished fish.

Your perch is very nice, not what you were looking for, but still very nice.

I still think some of your gold Pearl Ex powders should help you get there. Just be careful not to get them too heavy or they will look very metallic.