1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

My son (13 yo) mounted his first Mallard kill

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Hairy Dawg, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Hairy Dawg

Hairy Dawg New Member

I've been lurking around this site and extracting information for a couple of years now. This place is a treasure trove of information, and has helped my son and I to be able to get him started in taxidermy. At 13 years old, I'm not sure whether he'll decide to stick with it or not, but as much as he likes to duck hunt, I don't think that he'll be able to afford not to stick with it. I would like to thank everyone here on this site for posting up your tips and information that has made this mount possible. Any tips, suggestions, and critiques are welcome. The rest is a c/p from the local sites I posted this on.

Thanks

Gotta brag on my 13 year old son, Peyton. He just finished mounting his 3rd duck which was the very first duck he ever killed. This Mallard drake was his first kill and has been in the freezer for 5 years. I am really surprised that it was still in as good condition as it was.

Peyton has always talked about the ducks he wanted mounted. Me, being the tightwad that I am, told him that I wasn't paying 200+ dollars a bird for all of the ducks he wanted stuffed, and if he wanted his ducks mounted that he could either save his money for them or learn to do taxidermy. Last year, he mounted his first duck, which was a Goldeneye hen, and the mount pretty much went as expected. Kinda rough, but not too bad for a first mount. The second mount, which was a Hooded Merganser drake, looked much better. Not perfect, by any means, but much better than the first mount. A few weeks ago, he pulled out his first Mallard kill and said that he wanted to do a dead mount with it. He did most all of the work on this one. I did cast an artificial head replica for him, set the wires in the body, and built a barn wood shadow box. He did all of the skinning, fleshing, washing, sewing, and painting. He was very patient and thorough in the cleaning. I think he did a fine looking job on this bird, especially considering that he only has about $20.00 materials in it.

If this is something that he decides that he enjoys doing, I think he may have some talent for this kind of thing. I wished I could have gotten into doing something like this when I was 13.

From a proud papa, bragging on his boy. Hope you enjoy the pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cypresslake

cypresslake Jude Bordelon Cypresslake Taxidermy

Great Job Peyton, would you do wholesale work for me lol Keep it up

3. Re: Re: My son (13 yo) mounted his first Mallard kill

13 yrs old and learning work skills. Keep up the good work!

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

4. Curt

Curt Family Life member of the NTA

That is a boy with the taxidermy fire just starting to burn inside.. Nice Job, hey dad you saved money not getting his birds done for him, but look out next you may have to build him a shop to do all his work in. Keep up the good work Peyton.

5. verne

verne Well-Known Member

Very smart pose for a first kill ; looks great.

6. Great job Peyton!

Bruce

7. fowlcreations

fowlcreations New Member

Great job! Keep at it .

8. sportsman126

sportsman126 New Member

Tell him great job id be satisfied with that and I'm twice his age. and from the looks of it fish is next judging by the broken salamander soft plastic next to it.

9. Guerra

Guerra New Member

That came out great.

10. tem

tem Well-Known Member

its good to see him working on a duck in stead of in front of the tv. ;)

11. Hairy Dawg

Hairy Dawg New Member

Ha! That thought has already crossed my mind. Mama's already griping about all the floating feathers. Guess it's a good thing I'm a carpenter.

12. the god mother

the god mother New Member

here
    WOW we got a look at our future ....great job payton.....

keep at it...... payton give your dad 10% discount on his bird's..lol

congrates . ;D ;D

TGM

13. RDA

RDA Well-Known Member

Very cool and good job on his first!

14. Richbo

Richbo 2nd place is the first loser!

Damn nice. Wish I would have started when I was 13! I would say he is off to a good start if he decides to stick with it!

15. way to go, nice job.

16. D.C.O

D.C.O Dreamcatcher Outfitters & Taxidermy

Very good first! I like it! :)

17. Very nice, stay with it we will be reading your tutorials in no time.