1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Amateur competition ?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Brian Reinertson, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    In the novice or amateur division do they go over the mount with a fine tooth comb? Like check stitches, check for realism of nictitating membranes, look at pupils with flashlight, etc? If so or if not, is it within etiquette to ask them to do this during your critique time? Do they just give you a score and leave or is there some time to talk with a judge? I'd like to get as much out of taking a mount to the ITA show as I can. Thanks

2. Nina Lukaszewicz

Nina Lukaszewicz Outdoor Dreams Taxidermy

I think you will get more out of a Professional critique. Amateur seems to be more lenient when it comes to judging. You will get a scoresheet and you can talk with the judge, they will help you understand everything on the sheet and give you tips to improve.

3. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    I figured since I've only done a few mounts I would enter in the amateur division. But looking at it that way, I'd rather have a proffessional division critique if they look deeper into it. I could care less about a ribbon, I just want to get better.

4. I think it depends on the judge somewhat and your attitude. Look over the score sheet and have some questions prepared after it has been judged and prior to your critique. You have paid to belong to the organization and to compete and are entitled to a good critique no matter what class you enter. It also depends on your attitude and knowledge. If you don't have any questions or seem to not care or are not open to comments or new ideas the judge is not gong to give you a lot. If you really are there to learn and have a sincere interest most judges will pick up on that and you will give the critique direction, and get more out of it.

5. buckeye

buckeye New Member

If your not interested in a ribbon definitely enter in the professional division. I was in the same situation when I started to compete and someone gave me the same advise and I was surprised to receive a 3rd place. They will judge your mount tuffer than the amateur division but it is well worth it.

6. jtcjr

jtcjr Member

NC
    Enter professional like buckeye says if not interested in ribbons. Remember ribbons can be bought at local trophy shop if thats all your after. Also to you want a ribbon hanging in your shop with Amatuer on it. I believe I'd rather have 3rd place professional that 1st place Amatuer ribbon hanging for clients to see.

7. dbl.thraot_patch

dbl.thraot_patch New Member

Iowa
    Breiner, I'm from Iowa too and when I went to my first competition I entered in amateur division. I think Vince gave you great advice. You critique is only gonna be as good as you make it. You have to have questions to ask about your work, or about your methods you use. In all honesty your gonna get a good critique from the judge, but the some of the best advice your gonna get is gonna be from the other taxidermists that are at the show. Don't be afraid to ask them to come over and take a look at your work and give any advice they can. Most will be glad to help you out and offer advice. Talk to and meet as many people as you can, that will only enhance your experience at the show.