1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

extending deer face

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by atteberryjs, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Just wondering if anyone had pics on how to alter (extend) a deer face on a form?

2. http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,252705.0.html

might want to take a look here first. just a thought

3. Yea I looked there yesterday. I have a couple forms and was able to find the correct measurements for the neck but the eye to nose was about half inch to short. So ima have to make my faces about 1/4 inch longer so I dont have problems when I go to mounting them. Needing some pics on a some what easy way extend them.

4. Chris H

Chris H New Member

It seems this was talked about last week. From my under standing if you lengthen the face do it behind the lip line and in front of the preorbital gland. It was also stated that by lengthening the face with out widening it it will have a mule look to it. I have only been doing taxi work for about three years and I am in no way able to give the best advice but if its within a 1/4" I think I would mount it as is.

5. Bird Dog

Bird Dog New Member

MI
    I have had to do this a few times for deer with very long faces, and as Chris stated, cut through the form about half way between the preorbital gland and the back corner of the mouth. On the cut edges, make a bunch of holes in each piece where reattaching. I stuck some screws and wires in each piece that would slide into the holes/foam on the opposite side and give me the accurate length and support that I needed. Then I wrapped with shrink wrap, made a slot to pour, and put in bondo to get a nice bond. Then, go back and fine tune the facial muscles and details with apoxie sculpt and sandpaper. This is not very difficult, but the main thing is to watch the angles from all sides before the bondo sets to ensure you don't end up with a crooked face. In these particular cases, I needed to extend 1/2" - 3/4." Hope this helps. -Rich

6. Thanks for the input its greatly appreciated. Ima give it a try and see how it goes. :D

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Well, it's not as if you weren't warned. Get ready to deal with the "extra" skin under the ear and behind the eyes.

8. So what do you think I should do george? I got a 7 1/2 eye to nose measurement and the form is a 7. So if I add just 1/4 inch to the face its goin to cause me lots of problems?

9. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Try looking at it from a different perspective. Extending that nose 1/4 inch isn't really enough to waste your time with. If a quarter inch would make it right, it would likely look right without altering the form at all. IF the measurement is a half inch or more off, you KNOW that the form will be distended and skewed to the natural shape of a deer head. Correspondingly, If a deer with a 7.5 EN measurement is put up beside one with a 7 inch EN, you'll see that the deer's complete face and head are larger than the smaller one. When all other influences are absent, I tell taxidermists to set the antlers on the manikin. If the skull extends up to or outside the form, then the width of the skull is too narrow. If it falls back inside by 3/8 inch, the the form is too wide (and correspondingly smaller). Set your antlers and prefit that hide. It will tell you a story much better than I can through typing. If you have loose and floppy skin under and behind that eye orbit (as I suspect you will), then you need a wider/longer form to mount your skin on.

10. For the $20 or less price of a changeout head you're going to be money ahead than if you'd tried to lengthen it then make it all proportional. You're looking at a 5 minute job that will look actually look natural when you're done. Trust me, I made a horse faced deer once because I didn't see the big picture, all I saw was I needed a longer EN.

11. Ok thinks guys I really appreciate it.