1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How I made an average sized deer cape into an extra large deer cape.

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by wildthang65, Feb 14, 2011.

1. wildthang65

wildthang65 New Member

I had a 20" deer cape, and stretched it to a 29" cape. I did this using Jim Palek's tanning method, the results come out excellent. I was a bit skeptical after talking to Jim, but I thought I would go ahead and try it to see anyway. At first, I thought his directions were overly complicated, but he agreed to send me some tan, which was Lutan F, and the directions. This process ended up not being as complicated as I originally thought it would be using the cape snake and his method of tan. You may ask, "Why would I choose such a way to tan a cape?" The reason being, I had a customer bring me a 170 class set of deer horns that he wanted mounted into a full shoulder mount, with the largest form that was available to me. He had just the antlers but no cape, so everyone here knows that a cape in the 26"-29" range is almost completely unaffordable. So I had nothing to lose, other than time, to try this method on a cape that was given to me. The results were fantastic. So now, my final results are that I sold the cape, at a good price, and a full shoulder mount to the same customer, and I made money on a free cape and on the shoulder mount, as well. If I would of had to purchased a cape that size, I probably would not of been able to have made the sale of either the cape or the shoulder mount. So I was able to make money on both ends of this deal thanks to being able to stretch the cape with the cape snake. If you have any questions regarding this process, contact Jim Palek @ Cape Snake, or feel free to contact me, as well.

My reason for making this post is to thank Jim Palek for taking his time to help me through this process, without a dime to gain. I had already purchased a cape snake over a year and a half ago.

2. verne

verne Well-Known Member

and my goose lays golden eggs *

3. Jason O

Jason O Active Member

Wi
    oh ok

4. I would have to see that to believe it

5. bearrug48

bearrug48 Active Member

I think that if you stretch it that much,things will be way out of wack and your deer will look like heck. I hope this does not catch on.

6. Did you get some extra stretch on the nose, too?

7. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Please post some pictures of your finished mount!

8. Galen

Galen 218-263-7177 www.EdgewaterTaxidermy.com

Let’s see this Monster Buck.

9. aspenangler@hotmail.com

[email protected] B+______><(((°>______><(((°>

I would like to see pictures as well

10. Richbo

Richbo 2nd place is the first loser!

Wildthang and Jim Palek the same people maybe??? Marketing ploy for the Cape Snake??

11. pikelakerunner

pikelakerunner New Member

ok!! ;)

12. I got a ski resort in sout east louisiana for sale

13. RICKP

RICKP Let'er Buck

I just used the Garden hose method and got a squirrel to go on a beaver form....
    I had a tough time though getting the tail to wrap around that flat repo beaver tail,,,,
    good thing I used the hose method, might not have ever got it to work other wise...

14. bearrug48

bearrug48 Active Member

Glad I am not the one that bought the cape.

15. gunner62

gunner62 Gunners Buckhorn Taxidermy

W.I.
    Man, to strecth that cape that far the hair must have really thinned out to cover all that hide. ::)

16. That's nothin' man, just last week I pulled like hell on one and streched it a full two inches. ;D

17. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

I wonder if it works on birds. I have a duck I'd like to stretch into a goose.

18. Day Dreamer

Day Dreamer Member

Utah
    Thanks for that remark redwolf. That's funny.

19. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

Redwolf...........Just for the record.............Be careful about WHAT You try it on because it might do you harm lol...........

20. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

lol Duck, duck GOOSE :eek: :eek: :D