1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Killing Trapped Raccoons

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by kellys8693, Feb 15, 2011.

1. kellys8693

kellys8693 New Member

Hello! I'm completely new to trapping and skinning raccoons for pelts. (Hopefully learning how to tan it as well). I don't have a .22 cal or any weapon of that sort.

My question here is: Can I poison it with rat poison or antifreeze to kill it? And if I can will it still be safe to skin?
    Also, if there are any helpful tips you can give me that would be great too.

Thanks in advance.

2. muscle20

muscle20 New Member

Do you really think your going to get a trapped stressed out coon to eat poison, or drink antifreeze, If you do not have a 22cal rifle, just hit him at the base of his muzzle with your base ball bat game over.

3. kellys8693

kellys8693 New Member

Well the point is if I can somehow get him to take it with food, would it still be safe to skin.

4. muscle20

muscle20 New Member

If you hide poison in food they will detect it, so just hit him over the base of his muzzle and he will be safe to skin, wear your p.p.e. in doing so. Its not a good idea to use poison to kill mammals or anything, as a possible chain reaction can occur.

5. kellys8693

kellys8693 New Member

Thanks for the advice. :)

6. Mink

Mink New Member

I trapped my first raccoon last weekend, and I do not own a .22 either. But, I just borrowed one from somebody else. I think a single shot to the head is far more quick and humane than any other way you could do it. Hitting with a bat would work, but raccoons move around a lot and if you miss the head you could just injure him. Poison is not a good idea, not only would it cause uneeded discomfort to the animal, it would probably not be the safest thing to skin and handle, either. Also, anything else that might eat the carcass (vultures, coyotes, etc) would also get sick or die from the poison.
    But lots of people own .22's so I'm sure you can find somebody who would lend you one for properly dispatching your catch.

7. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

A .22 is faster and more humane.

8. bobcat071

bobcat071 Just hangn with buds!!

MO
    22 shot in the chest(face shots if for market but not taxidermy) or make a catch pole to get around the neckor plunge pole with acetone does work.Personally I just use a Walther P22 pistol.

9. kellys8693

kellys8693 New Member

Thanks everyone, sounds like I should invest in a .22 soon. I caught my first raccoon this morning, it's a baby but not bad for my first try. :)
    And yes I'm letting it go. :p

10. rayray38821

rayray38821 New Member

I'm not a anti so don't think that, but poison is very inhumane, I'm not sure where you think of something like that cause the animal will suffer!!! You need to get you a plan made before you go to trapping.invest in you a .22 short or long and make it humane.

11. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

That's true Ray. Poisoning is a slow painful death.

12. elkmasterwyo

elkmasterwyo New Member

If you look at pawn shops and yard sales you could probably find a low quality(if it goes bang its good enough for killin coons in a trap) .22 for under 100bucks easily

13. PETA and HSUS is doing a great job. Every hunting/trapping/Now Taxidermy forum you go to uses the word humane, pain, etc. Good Job Peta and HSUS. Do me a favor kid smack him on the head and step on his ribs. How's that for humane......Trappers Rule!!! LOL

14. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

It has NOTHING to do with PETA and EVERYTHING to do with ethics and respect for the animals that we make a living off.
    Don't ever put me in the same category as PETA.

15. Oh....I thought it had to do with humaneness not ethics or respect. Dead is dead...As long as your not poking it in the eye with a stick before you kill it then it's a "humane" DEATH in my book.

16. Oh yeah, if your catching it in a live trap just put a 220 in front of the door and let the coon run through it. I guess a 220 will kill a coon in under 300 seconds and that's considered "humane"...LOL

17. rayray38821

rayray38821 New Member

Sounds to me like you want to be a big bad a$$ smartmouth behind a key board, Always have respect for the animals. Regardless if your trapping to make a living or you do taxidermy to make a living or if you kill it for food.

18. I'm just a run of the mill trapper who get's sick of hearing those words. I have plenty of respect for animals and thank God for everyone I catch. Humane is a PETA/HSUS word that is used way to often. Who decide's what's humane?? I have enough restrictions on traps as it is. Inhumane to me is torturing an animal on purpose. Inhumane to some people is trapping and hunting an animal.

This is a video of me dispatching a bobcat in a snare. Is this inhumane?? To me and any trapper I know it isnt. To some it's just like murdering a human.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=_NNP4aXjELY

As far as a big bad ass smartmouth behind a key board. Not me. I am what I am and I dont have some type of human transformation (as some do) when I'm typing in cyberspace...Peace

19. rayray38821

rayray38821 New Member

I respect what you said just slow death by posion I just don't see it. Yup very humane that cat didn't know what happen, keep up the good work. I respect trappers.

20. I absolutely agree poison is not the way to go.

A whack on the head is just as good, IMO better, than a .22 shot though. If this new trapper cant afford a .22 then he should realize a whack on the head and step on the ribs is ...whats that word again..."humane"...LOL