1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Killing Trapped Raccoons

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by kellys8693, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Joe Winsor

Joe Winsor Active Member

I think we have some six year olds around trapping racoons that haven't yet been allowed to carry a .22

2. Jake of cousins outdoors

Jake of cousins outdoors Shoot like you're hungry!

nbguide, first off this is a taxidermy forum so I am not going to get off on trapping, but I dont know you but I can say this if you cared as much about trapping as you say you do you wouldnt go off running your mouth about some of the crap that takes place while you are trapping it is hard enough to get respect as a trapper and to also have the anti's leave us alone, you running your mouth on the internet and posting video's on the internet that can never be taken back once there for anyone to read and see, this is how alot of them get there damn ideas from anyway. So next time you feel like you are an all mighty trapper and wont to try to show off you can accidently catch something or think you know something, dont. It will do the rest of us a favor. Kellys I f you need any advise or help on dispatching animals or trapping in general you can pm me and not have to worry about any publicity. And good job on catching your first coon and for starting trapping, it is good to have kids or anyone to take an interest in trapping. And, it is our job to do it as humanely as possible, and using the right equipment the right way plays a big role. For example as a hunter you wouldnt take a rusty dull broadhead hunting would you, nbguide dont answer that! I appolagize if I offended anyone on here with the statements I just wrote.

3. kellys8693

kellys8693 New Member

Thank you so much! I'll be sure to shoot you a pm if I have a question with trapping. : )

4. Very well spoken Jake! Amen and Hallalujah!

5. Jake of cousins outdoors

Jake of cousins outdoors Shoot like you're hungry!

Kellys I will help you out anyway that I can and would be happy to do so. Thank you J Brown, once again I appologize to everyone, I had a George moment there, now I am over it.

6. George moments can be sacred dude!

7. CougarMan69

CougarMan69 New Member

I was Sketched out about clubbing them at first but it is so much better. no blood, and no holes. they die quick if you get em right. and i would suggest using 220 or 280 body grips if you cant bringyourself to wacking them. just check the local laws about body grips on land, in ny we have to put t in a bucket with a 6'' or less opening and it has to be back inside the bucket atleast 8". you have to watch out for house cats........ unless your not a cat person :).

8. Boomer Sooner

Boomer Sooner New Member

with cats i use a choke pole and i would assume it would work with coons. main thing is use good judgement and have respect for the animal.

9. You could register it as a Republican and the Democraps could tax it to death! Damn, I guess that is really inhumane.

10. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

I just hope they figured out how to dispatch the poor thing in a years time.....

11. Stream Side

Stream Side Member

MI
    I heard people talking about gassing a animal, does any one have any knowledge on how and what they use.

12. I am familiar with gassing (rodents, at least) because of my hobby as a snake breeder. (well, I did it up until a few years ago.) The companies that sell frozen rats as snake food routinely gas feeder rodents for a quick, "humane" way to put them down and freeze. Much quicker than freezing the poor things to death. Personally, I bred rats on a large scale for snake food for years.. I used the Whack method to dispatch them. Quick, sure thwack on a HARD concrete floor or rock, and it's over with, and they don't know what hit them. Some people would just toss a rodent into the freezer; this is unduly abusive in my book, and I doubt that requires explanation, because who would choose being frozen to death slowly over a quick kill?

To me, we can make death as fast as possible for our prey animals; that is just the right thing to do. If people are so up in arms about it being so cruel to hunt/shoot an animal.. they should go watch a video of a cougar hunting/killing a deer and get back to me on what is a worse death: a competent hunter shooting the deer, or a mountain lion biting it/bleeding it for a length of time?

Should this even be a freakin' issue?! Use your head, dispatch the animal as quickly as possible, show respect to the Earth/God/Gaia/Clint Eastwood/whoever the hell you worship or thank, and be done?

13. ArBowhunter

ArBowhunter New Member

back when i was breeding rats for my snakes i found a really quick way to dispatch them. hold by tail and use an aluminum arrow. a quick strike to the base of the skull and its over no blood no twitching nothing. no matter what word you use it all means the same, you are taking a life make it as quick a death as possible. i am a hunter and have done some trapping and the quicker the death the better.