1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

I need help with duck size

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by fireboy233, Feb 16, 2011.

1. I am going to do a Malard Drake and Hen, first for me but dont know how to get the size for forms any help would be great and how to get the size of the eyes needed thanks ???

2. glarsonnd

glarsonnd 05' Nat'nl champion

skin out then measure length from shoulders to tail then use a rope tape and measure distance around breast,WASCO has a chart on eye size. Gary

3. Thanks for the info should I freeze the skin while I wait for the form to arrive or treat for mount and keep in fridge

4. dc taxidermy

dc taxidermy Me and My Baby's senior picture

freeze

5. smalliestalker

smalliestalker and a river runs through it.

wingman put together a nice how-to on freezing a bird ... http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,68147.0.html

6. thanks to all for the help

7. FurNFeathers

FurNFeathers New Member

CA
    For mallards I use 10mm eye size dark brown.

8. Thanks FurNfeathers
    I am going to get the ducks out of the freezer this weekend and sikn them out ao I can order the forms eyes and I hope to get them mounted in a couple weeks. I dont have flesher so I will be doing it by hand with wire brush who do you use for your forms and eyes

9. txoutdoors

txoutdoors Active Member

Do NOT depend on eye charts for sizes. Most are wrong!!!! Always measure the real ones and order from that. I can almost gaurantee that if you use the eye charts they will be to big.

10. FurNFeathers

FurNFeathers New Member

CA
    I get mine mainly trough van dykes. And yes I have found some charts to be wrong so be careful bud. And I do the same. Skin,freeze,order,finish since I work two jobs.

11. FurNFeathers

FurNFeathers New Member

CA
    Hey fireboy233 send me pics when your done I'm interested on how they turn out. My email is on my profile.

12. Fur N Feathers I will send you picks may take a while I work nights 12 hrs and I am learning taxidermy on my own in my off time I am remodeling a house also I would like to do enough taxidermy work to support the habit I was in the Marines and injured so they didn't want me got heals up worked as a firefighter medic till injured and they didn't want me so I am a Mgr at Wal Mart now

13. FurNFeathers

FurNFeathers New Member

CA
    Right on thanks. Gotta take work where you can get it in this economy.

14. glarsonnd

glarsonnd 05' Nat'nl champion

Thanks for your service Fireboy