1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dirt for a base

Discussion in 'Habitat and Exhibit' started by TN Bucknasty, Feb 17, 2011.

1. TN Bucknasty

TN Bucknasty New Member

How do you like to stick dirt to a base. I'm not really looking for a wet look. I saw a guy once who just got a gallon of Elmer's glue and poured all over the base and covered with dry dirt. Would you recomend something as simple as that?

2. I am new to this habitat stuff also But my research has shown a few ways.

Yes your way described , as well 2 part foam poured on the board dirt pushed into the foam as it rises and ridge foam carved and then covered as well chicken wire and plaster burlap mix.

3. buzzbait

buzzbait Padden's Wild & Wet Taxidermy and custom Woodwork

NY
    I like to use, used coffee grounds for my dirt-works pretty good and looks real..

4. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Coffee grounds work great and so does ground up coconut shell. Yep coconut shell. If you and your family likes coconut then its another option for a different type of dirt base. It gives you a brown barky dirt look. Looks pretty cool with some critters. Dan

5. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

I mix a dark brown water base paint into the elmers glue and apply the dirt to that. It gives it a base coat that will hide what ever you are brushing the gue on if the sand doesnt stick to a spot. Do not let the glue skim over, brush small areas quickly, add sand, go to the next spot.

6. TN Bucknasty

TN Bucknasty New Member

Thanks to everyone. Y'all have some pretty good ideas.

7. DDavis

DDavis Active Member

I mix dirt / cheap potting soil in a bowl with 50/50 elmers glue and water . mix til all of the dirt is covered with the glue mix and put it on the base . Dont make it to wet with glue cause the glue will run out and make a mess . you can leave it as is or you can sprinkle dry dirt over it . let sit til dry and then shake the losse dirt off .

8. psycho

Just don't get the cheap potting soil with the white balls in them because that dirt looks ridiculous with any mount. ;)

9. irishme

irishme New Member

Use potting soil and plant some seeds. You have a living habitat.
    LOL ;D ;D ;D ;D

10. Peat moss works well too.

11. I use an indoor plant peat compost with a form of glue with the same properties as elmers glue, but less expensive. wishing you well, stargazer.

12. Wildside

Wildside Active Member

Not potting soil. You want topsoil. Potting soil usually contains perlite (Dans little white balls) and some form of fertilizer that you do not need or want. You can get bags of top soil at Menards or other similar store and it is cheaper than potting soil too.

13. psycho

LOL Yeah it's actually perlite but some people will say What the hell is that?

Leave it to a Michigan guy to talk about my little white balls...... That was a good one. LOL :p :D

14. Scottio

Scottio New Member

O M G Dude

15. taxi_grl_ga

taxi_grl_ga Active Member

ha ha! sorry, couldn't resist!

anyway, i dig dirt out of my back yard & let it dry and then mix it with whatever i want for the color i'm trying to achieve. if i want dark dirt i mix with coffee grounds or potting soil (also minus the white balls heehee). i'll mix in sand if i want sandy soil, red clay if i want lighter or more red tinted soil. if i'm making a wet look or mud i'll mix elmers with water and then add it to the dirt a little at a time until i get the consistancy i want. i'll add more glue if i want clumps in the mud. if i'm just using it for ground cover then i paint straight elmers on with a paintbrush and stick dirt to it then shake off the excess after it dries and touch up as needed. hope this helps!

16. psycho

When using real dirt you should heat it to neutralize any organisms in it though, just in case. ;)

Everyone likes my little white balls. ;D

17. taxi_grl_ga

taxi_grl_ga Active Member

gotcha, i didn't think about that. i always spread it out to dry but heat is a good idea. thanks!

18. Damage

Damage Pull the wool over your own eyes!

Guess who found his paint stripper heat gun of the inferno!!!!

19. Icarus

Icarus Something Witty

I did a dirt-base for my chickens. I mixed clay-heavy dirt with Elmers until it formed a thick, gooey paste, then plopped it on. Very little cracking, has been drying for a good two weeks or so.

Unfortunately, I have to remount the chicken, but the base looks relatively nice.

20. I was always told to mix water and elmers glue 50/50. Then add dirt to the mixture until it gets to a thick milkshake consistency, and then plop the stuff on. I always end up with cracks after it dries. Does anybody know what would be causing this? Is it too much moisture in the mixture that as it dries it shrinks that much?