1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Roman 555 grab time??

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by rocco, Feb 18, 2011.

1. rocco

rocco New Member

I used Roman 555 yesterday for the first time to try it out and I checked the brisket on the mount this morning and it still hasn't grabbed yet. I will be gone all day and won't be able to babysit it all day. It seemed to hold good everywhere else but the brisket. Will it take off on me or does it set up slowly. I'm thinkin it's takin its time at the brisket because of the water in the cape traveling down to the lower areas. I used epoxy on the face and that is good. Do you guys recommend epoxy on the brisket too, or will the Romans be ok? I like the Romans but it makes me nervous because I'm used to using Killer Glue and everything holding right away. I hate using pins in my heads but I guess I will have to .

2. ljones

ljones 1994 wasco award winner

just card it were you need to with that plastic screen you can get at hobby lobby and a few t pins and it will be fine

3. HAPP

HAPP Active Member

How wet was the cape?
    Poke a hole in the brisket see how much water is in the brsket area, or turn the mount upside down to wick the water out of the area.

4. rocco

rocco New Member

The cape was just damp when I mounted it but it is a HUGE Canadian heavy haired beast and I like my capes slightly damp so I can work the hair patterns. I just checked it again and it seems to be grabbing now. I put a small fan on it to try to dry the brisket while I'm gone. I'm looking forward to posting a pic of him as it was a mount for myself with a pair of huge sheds that I made a replica of and a big ol cape I bought to match the rack. Thanks for all the help guys. When you are used to doing something a certain way for so long and then you try something new, it can be scary. :)

5. cwt

cwt Active Member

Yep, usually the brisket takes longer dry

6. AUplantman

AUplantman New Member

You have a couple of days with Roman 555 to work out the air bubbles and get it to tack down. by the time you return it will be perfect for a final adjustment.

7. Take some bird neck foam and cut it and T pin it and walk away. Thats all!

Bluenose Moose likes this.
  8. Steve W

Steve W Member

ohio
    Its been my experience that he heavier you put it on the longer it takes to set up. Ear liners, and around the eye area where its applied much thinner will actually set pretty firmly within a few hours. Anywhere the 555 pools or gathers in lower areas will take up to 3 days or more to set up hard. Steve

9. rocco

rocco New Member

Thanks everyone for the advise. I just got home and checked the mount and it has finally grabbed in the brisket. I put a small fan on it while I was gone and that seemed to draw the moisture out. I have read so many good things about Romans that I had to try it. I normally use Headlock or Killer glue but it does get expensive so I was looking for a quality replacement. I think I'll use the KG on the faces and briskets and the Romans on everything else. I have to say, that where the Romans did set up it grabbed like iron.

10. Maybe you put it on a little heavy in that area. I have been using it for over a year now
    And haven't had a bit of Problem with it. Also I've never had to pin my capes. Stay
    With it...it's good glue. It has replaced my Buckeye Supreme that I used for
    20 years.

11. rocco

rocco New Member

Thanks Roger. I think you are right, I went a bit heavy in the brisket. I've used epoxy for 20 years and I'm used to it being thick, my bad. I'm going to try it again on another mount tommorow and this time use it a little more sanely. I can't stand to use pins, I like to mount it ,groom it and move on. You all have been too kind with all your help. I do appreciate it! :)

12. Michelle_Nelson

Michelle_Nelson Bring on the Bears!

I think I might have to try this Roman555. I get so stuck in using the stuff I am use to sometimes it is hard to break a habit.

13. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Just paint it on with a paintbrush, and you will not get it too thick. It is a water soluble cement. As long as there is moisture, it will not fully set. I'm hooked on it!

14. rocco

rocco New Member

I checked that brisket this morning and it is rock solid...I think I like Romans after all. I don't think I would use it for the face or antler burrs but I think it's a quality replacement for everywhere else. I guess an old dog can learn new tricks..lol ;D

15. Eric E.

Eric E. Member

I think everybody has a hard time walking away from products that have worked for them BUT.................It was easy for me to make the switch from Buckeye to 555 knowing how many really talented taxidermist on here were not only using it but giving it such a high review. Knowing that I was confident it would be as good if not better than the Buckeye and cheaper with no shipping cost

Eric

16. Michelle_Nelson

Michelle_Nelson Bring on the Bears!

How long have taxidermists been using the Roman 555?

17. Scott Musgrave

Scott Musgrave Little Wildcat Creek Taxidermy, Sharpsville, IN.

Rocco, most of the time after I mount them up I Tilt the head almost straight up which allows the moisture to run out the back of the cape. If you leave it leveled the brisket is the lowest point and will stay wet longer glad to here it worked out. Michelle I started hearing about it being used about 3yrs ago. Not sure how long it's been around. Sorry don't know.

18. Heath Cline

Heath Cline Well-Known Member

Ohio
    I'm sure some have been using it alot longer than I have but I have been using it I would say for about 8-10 years.

19. dhart

dhart Active Member

It is all I use now, even on the ears.

20. rocco

rocco New Member

Scott, I did another mount today and used epoxy on the face and brisket. My capes are only damp when I mount them but I'm anal about drummed briskets so I decided not to put myself through the stress . I do like the Roman though, seems to work good, glad I heard about it.