1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Artificial water

Discussion in 'Habitat and Exhibit' started by FurNFeathers, Feb 19, 2011.

1. FurNFeathers

FurNFeathers New Member

CA
    So I kinda understand the basic lay out of this I just don't under stand how to create the ripple effect. Any ideas?

2. WASCO Order number DVD221 (DVD video disc) ;)

3. FurNFeathers

FurNFeathers New Member

CA
    Thanks buddy I'll try it out.

4. Ive never did it either, but I searched and found some ways. Using a hair dryer was one way. I decided no ripples on my forst pour.

5. FurNFeathers

FurNFeathers New Member

CA
    Snowman623
    What was the product name that you used.

6. I havent poured it yet. I posted a question on sealing the creek bottom, then I will pour. Its from Mckenzies, I think it polytranspar art. water

7. I'm not sure what kind of ripples you are looking for. In my water splashes. I have tried ripple molds, not an agressive enough ripple. Crystal clear hot melt glue, at least that's what the company said, not clear at all. I had a chemical company send me four free products to try, too runny, too cloudy, or to expensive. I accidentally came across GOOP. Nice and clear, thick and stays where I put it, and no adverse reactions to Artificial water. I'm not sure which GOOP, I think it was plumbers GOOP, they make 5-6 different kinds. Here's a picture of the ripples I do with a fish jumping out of the water. This particular one was not done with GOOP, that's why it is cloudy. I'm not even sure if this is the kind of ripple you are looking for

[​IMG]

8. FurNFeathers

FurNFeathers New Member

CA
    Just fish
    I am looking for the ripples used like when a duck is swimming. But that looks good with the fish.

9. FurNFeathers

FurNFeathers New Member

CA
    Thanks for posting the pic.

10. Tailchaser

Tailchaser New Member

Please give us more info on GOOP. Very nice splash.

11. Here's their website http://www.amazinggoop.com/amazinggoop/index.html. Available at most hardware stores. I think I picked mine up at Kmart. It dries very clear, it's thick and works for making the ripples I want. In the picture of the splash I posted there is no Goop, that is why the outside ripple is cloudy. The ones that I have done since I started using the Goop look better. Depending how bold, aggressive, or thick you want your ripples you can apply a bead, let set up, and apply another bead on top. When you pour or brush the artificial water on, it seems to blend everything together. Experiment with it. I think it would work for ripples that are caused by a duck swimming. I used the Goop to create the ripples from a jitterbug. Hope this helps.

12. hardcase

hardcase I can do all things through Christ.Philippians4:13

NC
    Did you figure out what type of Goop it was? Does this set fast?
    Thanks
    Hardcase

13. Plumbers Goop. No it doesn't set fast. That would be perfect but I have not come across anything that is clear, thick and sets fast. I just take my time and plan to have other things to do as I am working on a splash. I will place my beads of goop where I want them for ripples and come back 3-4 hours later and apply a second on top of the first bead to get the thicknessl I want. 3-4 hours later I will hot melt or super glue my splash pieces in place. I wait until the next day when the Goop is totally set up before I brush and pour on the artificial water.

14. Phillip

Phillip New Member

I've found that Water & Ice Crystals (available from Van Dyke's) is very effective. Fast and you can alter the splash with a hair dryer after it has set. For water Go to www.silpac.com - there's lots of info there.

15. how are you making you splash pieces?