1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Struggeling over charging for work

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by DPG1876, Feb 19, 2011.

1. bubba z

bubba z New Member

Your right friends and family are your worst customers. I always tell them upfront what it will cost and inflate it so it will be slightly cheaper when they get it back so they stay happy.they look in a book and try to tell you how much you have in an animal without figuring on all the small things that add up to a lot more. Their time isn't free and neither should yours.like everybody said if they can afford a moose hunt they can afford to get it tanned. Never understand people that go on top dollar hunts and always get cheap terrible looking mounts done.I have several buddies that are frugal and they take their work to a 300 deerhead guy about 20 miles away so we don't have issues.

2. nitt

nitt Member

Itry to give everyone an estimated price but that is if I have no extra time altering form etc and all base work is hr rate n supplies but your 650 I would even do a shoulder for that good luck your skill is worth somethin just ask n e professional what they get paid n your price is not outta the ball park its only a single

3. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

I thought he said the $650 was to prep, tan and ship the cape, the friend wanted to mount it himself?

4. Bowman

Bowman New Member

The sign in my shop reads " A true friend won't accept a discount.". Or something like that.....

5. snagger

snagger New Member

I had a (FRIEND) want a deer mounted I told him 375 he said taxidermy was costing to much and wanted me to show him how to do it. friends and family want things four free .

6. Thanks for the comments. The job was only prep and tan. If nothing else reading your post makes me feel better that I didn't overcharge someone. I hate doing work for friends and family.

7. extremeedge

extremeedge New Member

I personally do not think you are out of line and neither would a real friend!

8. linder

linder New Member

I to have had all those same feelings and reactions from family, friends and strangers. people don't understand that this is a business they hunt and fish for a hobby, taxidermy goes along with that so they associate us as doing a hobby for a living and hobby's for the most part aren't suppose to cost a lot.they realize that the light bill has to be payed, the car note the water bill ,but not the taxidermist bill that's my hobby cant take away from my real bills to pay that! well that's how we pay our bills , my family likes to eat too. I hate it when a person makes us feel like we need to apologize for our prices . I like the attitude that a lot of you guys have about billing and prices I've leaned a lot from you all so please keep it coming..

9. Hedhuntr

Hedhuntr Member

Here is how I chase "friends" away. Ask them what they do for a living then say I will mount your deer in exchange for whatever they do for a living in returned hours. So say a friend of mine wants a shoulder mount and I have 10-12 hours in it then that is what I expect in return. Did it with a carpenter friend of mine and he said "well I'm real busy" (like we all ain't) and the other was an electrician and I needed work done in my shop and house and he ran too! The one asked me if it really takes that long to mount a deer? LOL Problem fixed. LOL