1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

shootin way over your limit

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Shawn73, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

I was searching the net for pics of woodducks and i came across a pic of alot of woodducks in a truck. So i went to the link to see how can some one shoot that many and it turns out to be poachers shot way over there limit. Stuff like this makes me sick it gives hunters a bad name.
    http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=wood+duck&view=detail&id=C67578135D363A79738760A3288AB62588808400&first=61&FORM=IDFRIR

2. SteveP

SteveP New Member

Stupid is as stupid does!

3. Wouter

Wouter Member

As a European I must say a lot of those American laws about waterfowl hunting are way over the top, all that paperwork involved with a few simple ducks, but setting bag limits is certainly a wise rule. What happens if you get caught by a game warden for bag limit violation? Will you get your hunting lisence suspended, a fine or both?

Wouter

4. dipper

dipper New Member

Suspension, revocation, fines, they take your gun, boat, truck, and kitchen sink. ha ha They don't always confiscate property involved in an illegal act, but it's not unheard of.

5. SteveP

SteveP New Member

It depends on the state that it happens in, and if you are caught by a state CO or an USFW agent. Most states are part of a pact that says that suspension, or revocation, in one of those states results in the same in all those states. The fines are usually based on each bird shot. I've heard state CO's (conservation officers) say that they don't know which birds were shot after the limit was reached, so they are all illegal. Depending on the situation, the birds are usually confiscated, along with a possibility of losing guns and other equipment, up to the vehicles and boats involved. In most states, the fines start around $100 and go up from there, with a possibility of doing some jail time. A lot of it depends on if the CO thinks the violation was an accident or was intentional. They sometimes have some leeway in which ticket they write.

6. taxidermycollector

taxidermycollector I am in Europe, sooo no need for Uncle Sam's regs

Whats a "limit" ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D. Inland ducks and geese, just bang away as easy to retrive. Marshland ducks and geese is normally limited to what you can carry back.

7. SteveP

SteveP New Member

Actually, we usually have two types of limits: daily and possession. With respect to most migratory birds the possession limit is twice the daily bag limit. During the normal fall waterfowl season in Minnesota we can take up to six ducks, with sublimits on certain species, 2 dark geese (canadas and white-fronts), and 20 snows. For the most part, the USFW Service sets the rules for limits for states in each of the main flyways. They work with Canada and Mexico to determine and control population levels through season lengths and limits. If everybody shot their limits everytime they hunted, we wouldn't have any ducks left. This is part of the reason for the possession limit. If you have your twelve ducks in the freezer and you want to go duck hunting, you better eat some duck.

Yes, our game laws are very complex compared to some parts of the world, but we also have a very high hunting population compared to many parts of the world. To gain the priviledge to hunt here is very easy, buy a license. Except for some unusual circumstances, there are no proficiency tests, and in most parts of the country, there are lands open to the public for no fee. But, in game rich areas during the open seasons, there are a lot of hunters waiting their turn, crowding other hunters, or looking for other opportunities to get a shot at their quarry. Where it is a normal thing to see here, I don't believe you see much of that in other parts of the world. This has given rise to preserves, where someone with the money will pay $200 a day to shoot three pheasants! They are doing this to ensure themselves that they won't have to compete with other hunters for game.

8. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

Steve P right on The limits are closely watched around here Ohio game wardens patrol the air and waterways ,shoot I never come close to limiting out but STILL have a great watching those swirling diving flocks ,feet down commited to the dekes. I can't eat that many ducks anyway.A friend payed a fine because as a group they [4 guys] were over the hen limit ,,a newbie was blasting any duck that came in ,but nobody wanted to rat him out .and he didn't own up to it!!

9. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

There's still something a bit hoaky about this photo. I followed the trail of links as well and they ended up with hearsay and rumors. Over the years I've hunted a few wood ducks across the south and I know they'll come to corn, but they stil seem to l prefer acorns. When you find a honeyhole of them, you have to be very VERY careful in not overshooting them as they seldom return. I've seen places where there might have been a couple dozen of them, but have found they're not a very "social" species like the barnyard variety of mallards will be. If someone finds the unimpeachable source, it would be interesting.

10. cypresslake

cypresslake Jude Bordelon Cypresslake Taxidermy

Just makes me sick, and just think how many people do that and dont get caught

11. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

anybody see the one non-woodduck in the pic

12. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

do you mean the pintail. ;)

13. Wouter

Wouter Member

Thanks SteveP for explaining some of the background of you hunting laws to me.
    Yes, The American situation differs a lot from my country Holland. Here, there are only a small number of hunters, mainly farmers and private land owners who hunt at their own estate. Those who don't own land have to rent the hunting rights from someone else, and there is few land left in our overcrowded country that is not an urban area or a wildlife sanctuary. Therefore, these rents are very high. Holland is very strict about privately owned guns, safety and nature protection, so every wannabe hunter has to follow a course and do a difficult practical and theoretical test before he can get licenses for guns and hunting. No hunter who found himself a nice place to hunt would be so stupid to shoot too many, so he won't have anything left for next year. So bag limits are not really necessary. ]
    Furthermore, a few years ago the laws changed and almost all bird species got protected, the only native species legal to hunt nowadays are mallards, wood pigeons and common pheasants (earlier, about 20 species were legal game). Some practises, like using live decoys and putting extra corn on a harvested field, were banned as well (seems to be frowned upon in the US as well). In the eyes for the majority of the population, hunting is an elitist, archaic, primitive form of animal cruelty, therefore Dutch hunters are few and unpopular ::).

Wouter

14. glad I put up those 10 wood duck boxes last :mad: year.

15. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

That makes me sick.

16. The Waterfowler

The Waterfowler New Member

This is where the picture came from and the following was in The Memphis Commercial Appeal and happened one or two early Wood Duck seasons ago. In addition to the fines imposed one of the defendants was a Police Officer from Jackson, Tennessee that lost his job and also had to pay the city restitution for his training on top of his fines.

Last week in Benton County General Sessions Court, nine hunters were slapped with harsh fines and stripped of their hunting privileges after killing an insane number of ducks over bait during Tennessee's early wood duck season back in September.

Another hunter connected with the case received similar penalties in November, and one more is scheduled to appear in court next month. I doubt he'll fare much better.

I use the term "hunter" lightly in this case because what these guys were doing really doesn't fall under the definition of hunting.

They were poaching -- and they're paying dearly for it, just as they should.

As you probably know, the limit for wood ducks during Tennessee's early season is two per day. Tennessee is the only state in the country that allows such a season for woodies.

These brain donors weren't caught with three wood ducks apiece. They had a sickening total of 169 birds, and they were hunting them over bait.

After fines, restitution and court costs, the whole deal will run them about $3,000 apiece. They all lost their hunting privileges for at least year, and one of them will be sidelined for a whopping seven years.

For a moment, let's just say that killing all of those ducks was the most exhilarating experience of their lives.

Maybe the idea of having a sure thing at their duck camp made for the best pre-hunt good sleep they've ever had.

It doesn't matter. It still couldn't have been worth all of the trouble, expense and embarrassment they're going through.

When hunting over bait is allowed, it's allowed for a reason.

When it's illegal, it's illegal for a reason -- and if you violate the law, you'll eventually get caught.

Like it or not, conservation officers have more authority, in some cases, than a highway patrolman. They can come on to your property to set up undercover operations whenever they feel the need.

When you set up to hunt over bait, you never know when one of them might be setting up to hunt you.

Limits are in place for a reason, too.

I've never been a fan of stringent creel or bag limits. I prefer liberal bag limits and stringent penalties for the people who violate them.

The penalties dished out in Benton County last week were harsh, but fair -- and they sent the perfect message to other folks who may be skirting the hunting laws in Tennessee:

Hunt right, or you won't be hunting at all.

WOOD DUCK PENALTIES

On Wednesday, Judge Julian P. Guinn of Benton County General Session Court slapped nine hunters with the following penalties for violating wood duck limits and hunting over bait. Christopher Cole of Camden, Tenn., received similar penalties in November.

Charles W. Banes, Burns, Tenn.: $669 fines and costs, $2000 restitution, loss of hunting privileges for four years.

Joel Rumsey, Waverly, Tenn.: $669 fines and costs, $2000 restitution, loss of hunting privileges for four years.

Chase Scurlock, Waverly, Tenn.: $669 fines and costs, $2000 restitution, loss of hunting privileges for four years.

Jacob Scurlock, Waverly, Tenn.: $669 fines and costs, $2000 restitution, loss of hunting privileges for four years.

Matthew Warren, Waverly, Tenn.: $669 fines and costs, $2000 restitution, loss of hunting privileges for four years.

Jeff Warren, Waverly, Tenn.: $669 fines and costs, $2000 restitution, loss of hunting privileges for four years.

Brad Mangrum, McEwen, Tenn.: $669 fines and costs, $2000 restitution, loss of hunting privileges for four years.

Billy Mashaw, New Johnsonville, Tenn.: $669 fines and costs, $200 restitution, loss of hunting privileges for one year.

Brian Lee, Waverly, Tenn.: $669 fines and costs, $200 restitution, loss of hunting privileges for one year.

17. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Thank you Waterfowler for the update and story.

18. AUplantman

AUplantman New Member

my guess would be that this was from a "roost shoot" as it is not uncommon for hundreds of woodies to flood a specific area in a matter of 30 min. I have heard of these taking place, and usually very high numbers are shot.

19. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

waterfowler...any info on the ages of the "hunters"...... curious

20. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

If I remember correctly some were under age 16<. They said it was a corn baited pond. The sad part was the bust didn't come until day 2. The GW got ahold of the picture of day 1 with insider information on location after someone in their group sent a pic out via phone to all his friends bragging.

Down here it isn't hard to find locations with hundreds of woodies using certain areas much less if you added some food. I have a timber hole where you could limit in them daily all season long...and it is right down the road from where these DA's got what they deserved. It was a heated discussion about the police officer loosing his job over it but my stance was and is....if you play be prepared to pay...especially if you are in a profession where people look for you for guidence. :mad: