1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

pheasant question

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by jwbkeeper1, Feb 20, 2011.

1. I have been mounting ducks for a bit now im tring to do my first pheasant. Anything different I need to know? I use the real head with ducks and I plan to with the pheasant is that ok?

2. Use the real head. Split the waddles.

I use silicone, from a large syringe with a small tapered tip, to fill the waddles and head/neck junction, but that's just me. I am sure that could start a war of techniques. I also detach the tail and set it in the form I want using hot melt glue. I set a wire in the glue for re-attachment. I also use only half of the skull and rebuild the rest with a chunk of foam that I press the skull in to and carve down. I also use non-hardening clay to set the eyes and smooth the skull into the foam. Then a dab of that silicone to set the eye lids in place on the clay and eye.

Other than that, it's a bird. Have fun. Show us some pictures when you are done.

3. alright thanks for the help ill post some pis when hes done

4. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

silicone is a good idea or 2 part putty in through the mouth just before you glue down the skin[if fake head] and or close the mouth ,you'll LOVE pheasants if you've already experienced ducks!!

5. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

on standing mount you can get a lot of skin sag...pin the thigh feather group almost up to the "arm"pits to deal with extra skin....also use all leg bones up to hip joint for all upland standing mounts to get proper stance and hieght