1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

whitetail mount

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by lhughes, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Good morning all. I have a whitetail shoulder mount that had been in a home that had a fire. The mount has a strong smoke odor. No visible fire damage, other then some curling up of the eye guard hairs and chin wiskers. I would be interested in any recommendations you all have to rid the mount of the smoke odor and any repair options for the wiskers and eye guard hairs.. Thanks in advance for your input and advice!!!

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Re: whitetail shoulder mount

Outdoors, saw horse, water hose, shampoo, bath towels, compressed air. If the hairs mean that much, glue new ones in.
    I would give it a quick wash, not a long wash that would rehydrate the skin, just a dunk and go wash. Keep water out of the ears, wash those by hand. It will still have some residue that should leave over the months, and then again, it might be toast and need a new cape.

3. j.sonnenfelt

j.sonnenfelt New Member

I have cleaned a couple pretty nasty ones out of bars. But I am not an established taxidermist, so according to the elders of the site I am not allowed to give advice. Sorry I am new to the trade so I can't help I would pm one of them.

4. Re: whitetail shoulder mount

Thanks Mr. T. for your response. I was wondering that after the washing could any of the commerical odor killing products help? Also I thought of using small diameter mono fishing line to replace hairs. What your thought?

5. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Re: whitetail shoulder mount

Most Oder killing products are bandaids. You may go through a half dozen of them in your quest. Try the shampoo, let it dry a few weeks, then try a second shampoo. The cape has been dameged, even ever so slightly, smoke will go away eventually. There is just nothing that will work like a snap of the fingers like you want. There might be smoke under the cape depending on how poorly it was assembled. For hairs, you can find a road kill and pluck all the hairs that you want, poke holes with a pin and super glue them in. I never saw a deer with fishing line for whiskers, keep your eyes open along the road.

6. Thanks for the advice. I'll kept you informed of the progress.

7. Mr. T., Just a update of the smokey whitetail shoulder mount. I tried using baking soda by rubbing the powder into the hide and letting set for a couple of hours. I then used compressed air to gently blow out of baking soda powder and then brushed the mount. It seemed to take out about 75% of a smoke odor so did the process again and it has got almost odor free. I then used a product used for horse grooming called shampoo in a bottle. The mount is now odor free. Thanks for the advice.

8. HAPP

HAPP Active Member

An easy fix for guard hairs....Buy a china boar bristle paint brush at the hardware store and cut what you need then poke holes with a pin and super glue them in. As Mr. T said

9. Thanks to all for advice. You guys are what makes this profession great!