1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fleshing Weasels

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Katie H, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Katie H

Katie H New Member

When would be the best time to flesh a few weasels? Should I do them B4 I put into the pickle, after they've been in the pickle for a few days, or both? I want the best results without spending a ton of time fleshing them. Also, what is the best tool to use when fleshing something that small?

2. I would just salt them, then after they have been pickled flesh them, the skin will be a lot tougher than it was when it was raw. Carefully on a beam would be my choice of a method, wire wheel would work good too.

3. Katie H

Katie H New Member

Ok thanks, That's what I was thinking but I just wanted to make sure I could do that. What is a wire wheel? Would a dull scoupel work or maybe a sharpened spoon?

4. muscle20

muscle20 New Member

You are lucky that you are working on weasels, as you do not want to spend a lot of time fleshing to get the best results !? Because after skinning a weasel they have little flesh on them if any, after skinning put them in your pickle agitating freq. for about 12 hours,this will toughen up the skin, then hang and drain the skins, now the work begins, remove the thin membrane from the skin surface with a dull knife with a scraping motion, support the skin on a solid surface like a beam, you can also strip pieces of it off after you get it started, after you have went over the entire skin put back in pickle for another 12 hours agitating freq. then tanning agent, its just that easy!

5. Katie H

Katie H New Member

Thank you. One more question... Is it worth it to make a stretching beam for something that small, or can I just hand stretch/break it?

6. muscle20

muscle20 New Member

Just stretch by hand and use a board to break them over, need nothing special.

7. Katie H

Katie H New Member

How much "hands on" time does it usually take you guys to tan the whole thing, and how much do you charge?

8. DickGJ

DickGJ Speak softly and carry a Big Stick!

Do you have to turn the lips on a weasel? That's akin to brain surgery for me (not that I've done any brain surgery...but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express this past weekend!)