1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

shed antlers repairs

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by mcking, Feb 22, 2011.

1. mcking

mcking Member

Hey everyone. I'm gonna be working on some elk sheds. Their minorly cracked and light colored. So my question is-what wood filler will work well for this? I have elmers wood filler, will this work???? And question 2 is what is the best stain I should get? Preferably from mckenzies. Any advice would be very great. Thanks

2. j.sonnenfelt

j.sonnenfelt New Member

I am a begginer so it is not legal for me to give advice on here, but I will post my opinion. Don't use wood filler and then try and stain. The filler will not take the stain the same as the antler. As far as what to use I will leave that up to the wiser EXPERIENCED. Don't want to end up with a thread about me giving advice.

3. BRTX

BRTX New Member

Re: Re: shed antlers repairs

For the repair, something like fix all or some other antler repair works well. I have tried many different wood stains, but found that with a little practice, potassium permaganate (s.p.) works the best for me. Antlerman is one of the best in this type of work, he may have a better answer.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I have been here a long long time,, and I am not an antler fixer expert, so I will give a half ast answer,, and maybe a pro can come along and give the real answer,,,,.. have you tried the archive to read past answers to this often asked question yet?

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,209428.0.html

5. mcking

mcking Member

i didnt research the archive as i was just looking for a few quick answers. i was hoping to place an order this afternoon so i didnt have to research. i'd still appreciate any suggestions tho. :)

6. skinner26

skinner26 Active Member

Best suggestion and the quickest way to find a answer is the archives. You can find the answer in about 5 to 10 mins instead of waiting hours for someone to answer it.

Trust me I know I use to be bad for not looking in the archive first.
    Good luck.