1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

shipping ?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by broken arrow, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Does 160 dollars sound right for shipping 17 forms from Wisconsin to New york? It seems high to me but was just wondering if this is average or high?

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

That is only $9.41 a form, if you only bought one form the shipping would be $16 just for one.

3. Scott Musgrave

Scott Musgrave Little Wildcat Creek Taxidermy, Sharpsville, IN.

I think I paid 38-40 for 4 shoulder mounts in one box. Sounds right. That is alot of Manikins for one ship.

4. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

Sounds about right. Thats what it would cost me before mckenzie put a distributing center in WI to ship from NC to here UPS/fedex. Boy am I happy kenzie is in WI now. I've placed a couple $1000 dollar orders already this year and one was heavy, clay and epoxy and 5 gal tanning jug... 1 order was 6 boxes shipped speedee delivery, $36!! :) They arent the only company I order forms from so get hit on shipping with those though.

5. Thanks guys I havent ordered this many at once before, and when I saw 160 I was shocked. But I guess its part of doing business.

6. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Just be glad they were not all lifesize forms.

7. Kevin M.

Kevin M. Active Member

Last year an oversized box ran about $28 . This year $36 . with UPS . Next shipment I'm gonna request Fed Ex . See what the dif is.

8. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

We had 37 forms delivered today, $440.00 via McKenzie,, but it isn't them, it is UPS that tells them what to charge you.

9. NDB

NDB New Member

McKenzie has an account with UPS and they have set pricing. Great rates on smaller stuff but when you get into the lifesize then you're looking at higher rates because they have to ship it through UPS Freight who's rates suck. Anytime your rate from McKenzie is more than $180 call a freight broker. My buddy ships a lot of forms from McKenzie's Salt Lake City warehouse to southern CA for less than $180 where McKenzie wants to charge $225 or more. Don't forget that they mark up their freight costs to make money on unsuspecting taxidermists. My buddy is Nick Buls at 406-459-9665 or [email protected]

10. AUplantman

AUplantman New Member

They charge more than the actual shipping charge for handling. The handling charge varies greatly from company to company. If you go to the UPS website and take the information from the box, and get a shipping quote via their shipping calculator, you can find out what their normal shipping charge would be for that specific package as the weight and both addresses are on the label. Typically it is much less than you were charged, ie "handling" charges. You also have to take into consideration, large companies have "special pricing" for their shipping, because they ship so much volume, UPS gives a discounted rate. It is what it is, and they have to pay their shipping department, but sometimes it seems that McKenzie is charging quite a bit more "handling" fees that other companies.

11. customerfirst

customerfirst New Member

I have been reading about the shipping charges on here since the first of the year and thought I would try to clarify a few things to see if it would help. UPS had the highest rate increase this past Jan. since I have been in the supply business, which dates back to the early 1980's. They always have an increase every year across the board, but this year was different. Not only did they have that same increase, but they also had an increase on large boxes. For instance, we ship 6 forms in a box, depending on the size of the form. Now UPS is saying they no longer want to handle large boxes. So, they had a large increase on the size of the box. I talked with several supply companies, but our hands are tied. I had several UPS reps come and talk with me, but got no where. They gave me every excuse in the world. Said it was more cost efficient to ship one form in a small box or 2 forms in a box, as opposed to 5 or 6 forms in a box. So, they want all companies to ship 1 or 2 forms in a box to a customer,and use more boxes than less boxes. Go figure! They had there spread sheets out trying to show me where it would save. The point of all this is to let everyone know, that UPS no longer wants to handle large boxes. So, they slapped a large increase on it. That's where this big increase has come from. UPS sets there own rates, our company does not. Our rates are set automatically by a UPS computer. We have no control on these rates. We have never had handling charges. Whatever the ship rate is, that is what the customer is charged, no more, no less. Fed Ex follows UPS rates every yr. My UPS rep said that instead of sending 6 forms in a box to a customer in Wyoming, that I shoud send 1 or 2 forms in a box. He ordered 50 forms. When we did the figuring, UPS was wrong. They simply want out of the business of handling large boxes. Thank you for your time, Debbie Foster, Foster Taxidermy Supply

12. revolutionMan

revolutionMan New Member

Broken Arrow, what shipping company delivered your order?

13. BearB8

BearB8 Active Member

Debbie, I just learned that lesson the hard way sending out my hides for tanning. I just paid $335 to ship 3 large boxes to MI. After words I find out I should be breaking them down into half the size I've been shipping in.

14. customerfirst

customerfirst New Member

BearB8...It also depends on where your shipment is going. Sometimes sending a larger box is not but a couple of dollars more, sometimes seven to ten dollars more depending on the location. It is very discouraging for all of us involved the way UPS has changed the way they do business. They told me it was to save on gas. Putting more boxes on a truck as opposed to putting less, but larger boxes would be more cost effective. Even though we now have to have more trucks....that is suppose to be more cost effective? They also told me and I quote " You want to keep your drivers happy, don't you?" I replied, It's not my job to keep the drivers happy...I don't sign their paychecks. Last yr. UPS cut 2,000 jobs...mostly top level jobs. Bottom line, as I stated before, they no longer want to handle large boxes.

15. Fed ex delivered the order.

16. jmgriggs

jmgriggs Distinguished Wildlife Creations, LLC

I just ordered one item (Epo Grip Seam Repair) from McKenzie and the shipping charge for that single item was $11.10. Man that's just crazy. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: