1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

catching a weasel??

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by mbj306, Feb 22, 2011.

1. mbj306

mbj306 Member

What is the best way to catch a weasel without hurting the hide? What type of bait do they hit well? right now I am trying a big rat trap baited with strips of raw flesh.

2. That is a good way. You can put that rat trap in colverts and you will catch them as well . Good Luck. Bruce

3. bowkill

bowkill New Member

Are you sure visible bait is allowed in your state as it is known to attract some oppertunistic birds not legal to trap. Diffrent in diffrent states though. Also some states may require trapping lic and identifing your traps even for weasals. I would just check

4. mbj306

mbj306 Member

looking into it, I don't rightly know about that. Just saw the weasel outside my shop and thought he would look better inside.

5. NJTrapper

NJTrapper Member

Build a little wooden box about 6 1/2" square and about 14" long. Put a 1 3/4 - 2" hole in the front , kind of like a bird house, but leave the top removable. Place your rat trap so the pan sits just under the hole on the inside. Bait it with fresh meat and a little oil of anise in the back of the box and coat the rim of the hole with the anise. That should get him.

6. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

I use a gallon ice cream bucket upside down screw trap to inside of lid....drill a hole 1 inch up from inverted bucket 1-1/2 inches diameter.......hang bait inside on wire and snap bucket down onto set trap on lid.......keeps bait fresh and hidden from birds...and up off ground away from mice and shrews...you can spray paint a little white on writing to camo it better and put a loop of thin wire on trigger to keep them from slipping over trap for a free meal