1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Squirrels

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by ZMAN88, Feb 22, 2011.

1. ZMAN88

ZMAN88 New Member

Whats the best dry preservative out there looking to do some squirrels and I keep hearing about just dry preserving squirrels or soaking them in dentured alchol, which is the best to use, or does someone have a better idea?

2. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

Dry preservative in my opinion. Make sure you get some down in the tail. Best way to do this is hang the skinned tail over the edge of a table and sprinkle some DP into the tail while "stirring" it with a wire. Push the wire all the way the length of the tail and OUT the tip. This will insure that you get full coverage in the tail.

3. ZMAN88

ZMAN88 New Member

Thanks now who sells dry preservative or can I just purchase some at my local WalMart?

4. skinner26

skinner26 Active Member

Go to wal mart and look for borax it is about 3.50 a box.

5. JRose

JRose Member

Would there be a disadvantage to dry preserving the hide versus using a tanned one? Shrinkage or distortion? Have half a dozen raw squirrel skins in the freezer I've been putting off for not wanting to tan them =P

6. dktaxidermy

dktaxidermy I'm on top of the dirt; how bad can it be?

Or you could call Touchstone at 1.800.256.4800 and order some Bessmaid dry preservative. my walmart doesn't carry borax and the store where i can get it, it is $5.00 per box.

7. freeze_1

freeze_1 Booboo, my business manager

Considering the shipping and delay your best bet is to buy borax in your local store.
    Even at $5.00 a box it is still cheaper and straight borax is better any way.

8. michaelf

michaelf New Member

Touchstone x 2.

9. jake7719

jake7719 Well-Known Member

I use both. Skin the tree rat , Wash in Dawn, soak over night in alcohol, wash with Dawn and dry, them dust skin with Borax, Mount it. One CLEAN & FLUFFY tree rat.

10. Dp and borax is two different things. You want Dp.

11. u2cme21999

u2cme21999 New Member

To fill tail with dp, could you put a 1/4 or 3/8 plastic tube in tail fill tube with dp, then remove tube, leaving dp in tail?

12. Katie H

Katie H New Member

What exactly IS DP??? 'Cause borax doesn't actually PRESERVE a hide, does it?

13. borax from walmart

14. jake7719

DP= Dry preserve, it has antibacterial properties in the powder, kills the bacterial on the hide. Borax is used to make it bug proof.

15. Katie H

Katie H New Member

But what actually is it? Big Country said that it isn't borax. Is DP used instead of tanning when mounting any given animal?

16. jake7719

Yes, some people even use it on things like Whitetailed Deer shoulder mounts. Its not for me,I tan everthing bigger then squirrels, DP kills the bacteria with a powder chemical (don't know what it is) put on the hide. Tanning kills bacteria by a low PH 2.0-1.5. Borax is a moth/bug proofer.

17. Chinbeard

Chinbeard New Member

Just sprinkle some dp in there and run a small piece of wire in and out of the tail makin sure you get it covered good in there.
    Get a David Ellzey Video

18. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

DP is Dry Preserve. It has borax in it, but it also has alum and talcum powder.

19. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

Personally I like the Dp from WASCO. It seems to have more grain verses powder aspect to it. I know it works for me. It rubs in much better too.