1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Deer Question

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Jayce, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Jayce

Jayce I'm too drunk to taste this chicken....

Out of Curiosity and being from Alberta Canada, I Would like to know the Average Whitetail/ Mule deer Shooter size, ratio, age, pretty much anything and from anyone, anywhere down south who'd like to reply. I think it'd be a neat topic to discuss.

2. I hunt mid-state michigan and i pass on anything less than 2 1/2 years old. As far as antler size i shoot for a 110 in. minimum. Thats my 2 cents.

3. Jayce

So at 2 1/2 they're 110, they'd be pretty good bucks at 4 yrs then eh?

4. evil x

evil x Member

The farm I have permission to hunt, anything mature and 150+ inches. Mature being field judged at 5 1/2.

5. Jayce

Where are you from evil x?

6. evil x

evil x Member

I hunt in southern Iowa.

7. mimes

mimes Member

alot of bucks in Arkansas never make it past 2.5yrs.....

8. Ernie C.

Ernie C. New Member

Yes they would but the problem is in Michigan not many make it past 1.5 much less 2.5.

9. Exactly why i shoot what i do. we've taken 2 fully mature buck's off are property in the past 15 years (meaning 5 1/2+). Neighbors will shoot just about anything. i saw them shoot a spike with max. 2 in. antlers. bogels my mind. Frustrating for us.

10. a 2 1/2 year old here is usually 100-120. 3 1/2 as much as 150, usually 140's. never seen one here that made 4 1/2 years. they've got great habitat and nutrition here though. farm and river valley. southwest Minnesota

11. Jayce

Our whitetails vary, in southern Alberta where I'm from, our 2 1/2 yr olds are 120-125 and show alot of pontential to be 140-165 at 5-7 years. I figure this cause we do see the odd 160 buck but we're seeing less and less cause guys are shooting young bucks. But the farther north you go, the bigger they get. Needless to say our Mule deer are doing good though, cause most of it's on draw. I'd like to see some of our zones go on draw for whitetail and see some of them young bucks grow up.

12. Jayce

A 2 1/2 year old southern alberta whitetail I took last year, last day. showed alot of potential.

Attached Files:

• wt2.jpg
      wt2.jpg
      File size:
      79.5 KB
      Views:
  13. rocco

rocco New Member

Hey Flattop...heres one from Saskatchewan thats going home tommorow..He scored 170+...mounted on a Mears offset upright..26" neck and fought me every step of the way...how old do you think he would be??

Attached Files:

14. here is a three year old from our place

[​IMG]

15. Jayce

Rocco, that's a nice buck I dunno he'd be anywhere from 4-6 yrs, what part of sask do you know? I go to southern sask every fall and hunt with a buddy of mine, and we see quite a few bucks like that that are anywhere from 4 to 7 yrs old, great genetics there. And rawrockhills, that's some good genetics where that buck came from.

16. Jayce

This deer a client brought me scored 165, he is 5 1/2, he went home last week and was shot in the area I hunt in. This is the average shooter but I see less and less every year

Attached Files:

• lg.jpg
      lg.jpg
      File size:
      40.6 KB
      Views:
  17. rocco

rocco New Member

Yeah its getting weird around where I live..5 years ago there were big bucks all over the place and lately I rarely ever see one. Work was slow this year as far as heads coming in, the state average was wat down for hunters...some weird cycle or something.

18. i help at a local deer processor and on average the bucks thats guys are shooting are alot smaller. But when the big ones come in they are solid mature deer. the big ones are just far and few

19. No one around us will shoot anything less than 145-150". At least 4 years old. There are some giants out there, and lots if them....getting them out in the daylight is the hard part. Here is a 4 year old that absolutely blew up this year. He hung out in my food plot alot last year. Had no mass, but showed potential. Probably added 30-35 inches this year.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. rocco do you have any more pictures of that deer ? Would like to see one of the hole deer . Gary