1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

attaching plaque to shoulder mount

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by huntingislife, Feb 23, 2011.

1. whats the best way to attach a wooden plaque to a shoulder mount?

2. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

With Bondo.... It's seamless.

3. FISHWHISPERER

FISHWHISPERER New Member

Bondo ???????

4. james shipman

james shipman New Member

i use 4 2.5 inch dry wall (corse) screws pre-drill through panel first.

5. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Yes, Bondo. And the great thing about Bondo is if it oozes out on the panel you can just paint it the same color as the panel and it blends right in, you'll never notice it. You scratch the panel with a screw you're screwed. It's Bondo all the way for me!

6. Chris H

Chris H New Member

Are you talking about a plaque or a panel, two diffrent things. Maybe this is the reason for the confusion. 2.5" grabber screws would look strange holding on a name plaque but they do work well if attaching a panel.

7. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

If I don't have any Bondo in the shop can I just use Gorilla Glue?

8. TN Bucknasty

TN Bucknasty New Member

Place the plaque between two objects the same height such as bar stools so you can come in from the underside. Drill 3 holes in the plaque. Place the shoulder mount where you want it and either prop it up or get someone to hold it steady while you put 3 inch screws in from the backside. TO HELL WITH BONDO!!! What happens if someone decides to change plaques? You don't want that crap oozing out on your plaque either because that just looks like sloppy work.

9. bowentaxidermy

bowentaxidermy New Member

"Yes, Bondo. And the great thing about Bondo is if it oozes out on the panel you can just paint it the same color as the panel and it blends right in, you'll never notice it. You scratch the panel with a screw you're screwed. It's Bondo all the way for me!"

I would like to see you post a picture tutorial on this.

10. hounddoggy

hounddoggy Member

If mp says bondo id be inclined to think before i knock it. To me its a pain lining everything up. Heck you can put a glob of bondo on the plaque, line up the deer and let it grab THEN add screws if you like. Bondo may hold but i want something in the plywood of the form through the pannel. If nothing else we got a great tip for linning the mount up right on the plaque. Bondo will hold it there while you screw in the screws. I love it. I have learned in the past not to say an MP technique wont work. Only bondo worries me but i havnt tried it.
    I use mps way of doing europeans and i have stoprot on the way! hahaha Thanks for the tips dude!

11. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Damn, I gotta go throw out all my 3 inch coarse thread drywall screws now. Then I gotta go remove about six of the extra ones I used to hold that moose mount on with. GEEZ. No wonder I quit using those silly assed plaques 20 years ago.

BTW Michael, it's OK if you go ahead and set the hook. The carp seem to have swallowed it.

12. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Swallowed it? Hell, some of them even ran out to buy some Bondo. LOL

13. Yeah - MP is on the road to PA at 3:15 am and having some fun with you guys.

Bruce

14. Prime example of beginners giving advice! Right Mike? LMFAO! Hook line and the fishin pole!

15. Chris H

Chris H New Member

JamesBrownII I don't know if your comment about new people giving advise was for me but if you look up Plaque you will find things such as award plaques i.e. something of recognition (which is what I was referring to, a name plaque) plaque on you teeth and in your arterys. Now if you will look under Panel, you will find

Definition of PANEL
    1a (1) : a schedule containing names of persons summoned as jurors (2) : the group of persons so summoned (3) : jury 1 b (1) : a group of persons selected for some service (as investigation or arbitration) <a panel of experts> (2) : a group of persons who discuss before an audience a topic of public interest; also : panel discussion (3) : a group of entertainers or guests engaged as players in a quiz or guessing game on a radio or television program
    2: a separate or distinct part of a surface: as a : a fence section : hurdle b (1) : a thin usually rectangular board set in a frame (as in a door) (2) : a usually sunken or raised section of a surface set off by a margin (3) : a flat usually rectangular piece of construction material (as plywood or precast masonry) made to form part of a surface c : a vertical section of fabric (as a gore) d : comic strip; also : a frame of a comic strip
    3: a thin flat piece of wood on which a picture is painted; also : a painting on such a surface
    4a : a section of a switchboard b : a usually vertical mount for controls or dials (as of instruments of measurement)

I think definition number 2 covers what you may call a plaque. Now personally I don't care how you attache your plaques but allthough I don't think I would use bondo I do think that would be a better choice then any of your grabber screws. George don't throw away your 3" screws use them for attaching your Panels to the form.

16. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

ROTFLMAO!!! Me too. Who'd a thunk bondo could do such a great job. I guess there's no need in screwing it on. ::)
    How about it MP? Gonna do a tutorial? :D :D

17. WTF dude? Relax! We know what the poster is looking for! I WAS JOKING! BTW I know the difference between a plaque and a panel! And my name isn't JAMES!

18. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

What the heck is wrong with you anyways James.....I mean JB? :D

19. you guys crack me up.., thats why i like this site...

20. No Chris I was not referring to you.