1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

attaching plaque to shoulder mount

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by huntingislife, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Chris H

Chris H New Member

Sorry then guys. Seems to be a lot of sarcasm and a lot less help for some of the more simple beginner questions lately or maybe its just that time of the month for me.

2. Chris H

Chris H New Member

Yes Redwolf it dose, but what got me was When Hoggdaddy said hes going to try it. I f you read his post he obviously looks up to Mike P and some times its hard to pick up sarcasm in type. What you wind up with is people trying things that were only meant as a joke at the time it was written. Newbies look at you guys for advice. You all should take that as an honer, and treat them with respect. Yes Some things should be obvious but I also know grown people that don't know a gas bottle has reverse threads, that does not make them an idiot only that they don't know and I will always do my best to help someone who is trying to learn.

3. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Chris I deleted my post. You must of posted while I deleted. Sorry.
    But to answer that, I typed out of frustration. To me it seems like common sense that if you are attaching something with a wood back to something wood, that wood screws would do the job.
    It just seems like some put WAY too much thought into things. Sometimes the most obvious answer is right in front of you.

4. Chris H

Chris H New Member

There is a tutorial by Wayne R. called Basic steps to attach a panel. Hope this helps

5. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

It's MUCH easier with two people but I do it by myself 99% of the time (and MP will take what I just said and run a completely different direction I'm sure, LOL). But to try to explain how, I really can't but I'll try.
    I predrill three holes in the panel (one at top and two at bottom), then set the deer on a chair with the back facing me and the antlers resting on a table. Attempt to center the panel to the deer and attach with the top screw. Check alignment, adjust if neccessary, finiish attaching with other two screws. BTW, I use 3" screws.

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

OH DAMMITDAMMITDAMMIT. I'm gonna kick Michael P's ass when I see him. I knew he was going to suck me into this one. So OK -there's the MOST PRECISE way to attach a panel to a mount backboard.

1. Get a large piece of cardboard and set your mount on top of it. Trace out the outline of the backboard on the cardboard. Remove the mount.

2. Print a large "A" on the side the mount set on and then flip it over and put a "B" on the reverse side.

3. Cut out the cardboard.

4. On your panel (finished side UP) lay the cardboard silhouette down on the "B" side. Move it around until you have it where you want your mount to be.

5. With a quarter inch bit, drill through the cardboard and the panel (PREFERABLY NEAR THE TOP CENTER OF WHERE YOUR MOUNT WILL BE). Mark that hole on the "A" side of the cardboard. Then drill an appropriate number of other holes in the panel where you intend on putting other screws. (Do NOT use a 1 inch bit. Stick with a bit slightly oversized of what you intend to use.) Remove the cardboard.

6. On the "B" side, remark that first hole you made.

7. Now lay the cardboard on the mount backboard with the "A" side down and against the backboard. Carefully hold it in place and then run a 3 inch drywall screw through that marked hole and into the backboard. Then remove the screw.

8. Go back to your panel and stick the 3 inch screw into the panel BACK through the premarked screw hole. Hold your mount up and insert the screw tip into that hole you made in step 7. Snug it down to where you can just move the panel and mount

9. Install your hanger on the panel and hang the mount. Step away to insure that it's centered and aligned. Gently remove the mount from the wall and run the extra drywall screws down into the backboard TIGHT. Tighten your pilot screw.

10. Remember: THIS AIN'T FREAKIN ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!!!!

7. Wayne R

Wayne R NRA and B&C Life Member

Here is the link, if it will help.

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,153362.0.html

8. rbear

rbear Well-Known Member

Someone suggested to hold the mount on the panel where you wanted it and using a brad nailer to put a few brads through the panel into the form to hold it until you could get the screws in. Have not had a chance to try it but it sounds way better then bondo.
    Wayne and George both great ideas.
    Ralph

9. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

The bondo was a frigging joke and if the "paint will cover up where it ran onto the panel" line did not work your mind onto realizing that them you need to get a job sweeping (but not on stairs)

Let's see, it's a piece of wood that needs to be attached firmly to another piece of wood. What do I do??!

I can't figure that out but I'm sure proper sewing, eye rotation, form alteration and finishing work will be a breeze to learn once I get this ****ing panel thing figured out!

10. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Remember the newbee that couldn't open the tub of Buckeye Supream, he had the bucket upside down, even posted a picture of the bucket upside down. Wizz bang.

11. fozziebear

fozziebear New Member

AAAAHHHHHHHHHHH THIS PLACE IS GET'N FUNNY ;D

12. What gets me is the lack of common sense! Geeez! And to think that these young uns might be industry leaders? We are screwed screwed screwed!

13. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

You mean, we are Bondoed, Bondoed, Bondoed. "It's seamless"

14. Thanks, thats how i had originally planned to do it with georges method. i know its a simple task and may seem like a stupid question but i figured i would ask people who have done this before so that i feel completely confident in sending the mount home.

15. smallfish

smallfish New Member

To me its a pain lining everything up. Heck you can put a glob of bondo on the plaque, line up the deer and let it grab THEN add screws if you like. Bondo may hold but i want something in the plywood of the form through the pannel.

16. Smallfish! Mike was joking! He don't use bondo!

17. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

To go up a flight of stairs do you follow the arrow pointing up or down?

18. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Good question.
    [​IMG]

19. FISHWHISPERER

FISHWHISPERER New Member

you guy need to be spending more time in the shop instead of playing with your bondo

20. dktaxidermy

dktaxidermy I'm on top of the dirt; how bad can it be?

I'm glad this is the age of computers instead of paper; we would have killed 2 trees for all this fooferaw.

I'm sad I wasted my time reading it.

now if you are glad, & sad like me it must be beer:30, so i'm outta here.