1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Now this is fast!

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by mike welch, Feb 23, 2011.

1. http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/hunting/2011/02/how-fast-can-you-gut-and-skin-deer?cmpid=enews021611

Deer skinning in under 3 minutes

2. I'd be a lil POed if that was my deer at the processor and had the blader contents on the meat with such disregard as that. It was quick, i give it that. And waste of the back hide too, a lot of processors i know use the hides as their bread and butter money.

3. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

Seriously? How many people dress in the field and nic the gut or whatever... rinse it and carry on.. Im just curious who would take a deer in without gutting it...

Had a client do that one time but he had never done a deer before

4. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Tons of 'em ride those deer around all day, then take to get skinned a gutted. Happens all the time!

5. james shipman

james shipman New Member

i dont think he hit the bladder when he cut pelvic bone on either side and if he did i don't think it touched anything but the bucket. Skins don't bring enough money to save around here.

6. kdogg_4

kdogg_4 Member

The same guy de bones a deer in less than 8 minutes.. I watched it the other day on youtube... Good stuff to watch..

7. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

How much do they get for a backhide???

8. cwt

cwt Active Member

thats pretty damn fast. I used to pride myself on how fast I could gut a deer. compared to this guy I move at the speed of smell.

9. snagger

snagger New Member

3 bucks$$$ here in NW OHIO

10. That is the fastest I have ever seen it done. My only concern would be when he sawed down the aitch bone, the bladder could possibly have ruptured at that point, ( though I did not see it), contaminating the meat. Other than that, he is 8 times faster than I have ever seen it done. Thanks for posting, wishing you well, stargazer.

11. bw

bw New Member

My processor gets $4 for skins.

And my friend in NC says that no one guts their deer before they go to the processor. It's even built in to the processing charges to gut them. They also do it just like this guy. AFTER the skin is off.

12. The processor I use gets 4 bucks a hide for WT x 1000 thats some good side cash. He sells them to glove manufacture.

13. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I must have missed the back hide being ruined? Looked like all $3 worth was fine to me.

14. TIM DUNCAN

TIM DUNCAN surry county va

that is fast boy

15. jstady2002

jstady2002 New Member

I would rather take the 15 or 20 minutes it takes and not risk cutting myself. He is rather fast but in the end he is using a knife and usually it will win in the end.

16. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Even if the blatter was broken, it had about one second to contaminate anything if at all.

17. bearrug48

bearrug48 Active Member

I have to wonder how many times he has cut himself while speed skinning...................

18. I can think of a bunch of times where it's better to take a deer back to camp and skin/gut.

Example # 1 You shoot a deer in the swamp no reason to gut and drag through stale bacteria laden water.
    By the time you drag it high and dry its only 5 minute drive to camp with lights, fresh water and anything else you need.
    Example # 2 You shoot one right off the back porch! Hehehe.

Thanks for posting I liked the video! He could of been more careful but that obviously wasn't what he was going for!

19. hounddoggy

hounddoggy Member

I wish we could keep the back skins! processor here would give them away. I planned to get them all and tan them in the summer to sell the next season. I asked our friendly warden and he said id be shut down and could never get a liscense in N.C. if i even tried it. I can buy and swap with other taxis but processors are off limits here. Warden said even if it was legal id have to keep records of every hide to be able to establish who killed it and that it was legal/checked in. Furthur more i could only sell it for the cost i have in materials. He explained that law was to keep people from slaughtering animals for monetary gain. I CAN charge you 100 or whatever to tan your skin if you bring it in. Also was told if a customer doesnt get a mount i can only sell it for cost of materials. people around here are selling stuff on e-bay and everywhere.........i guess their day is coming but our warden is VERY SERIOuS ABOUT THIS TYPE OF THING. the processor i use to get work did 1580 deer this past season....................can you imagine the back skins?? what a waste. I CAN keep them and tan them for myself-not to sell but i have to always have a record book of who and when on the kill....like i need 1580 skins around the house.

20. That was insane!